Fourth Day on the River

Angel Falls Travel Blog

We spent the day going down the river. The morning was beautiful and gave us a great view of the falls and further down the Devil's Canyon. Fully resigned to getting wet I wore my swimming trunks and a shirt, and sat at the back of the boat in the comfiest but wettest seats! I got an entire face-and-body drenching at one point while napping. It was wonderful floating down the river - I couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather be!

Unlike the rest of the trip down the river, we passed quite a few other canoes coming up past us. I certainly felt more adventurous than them with how well kitted out we were compared to the ones going for a day trip. Going down the Churun took only 1 hour compared to the 2 or 3 against the current on the way up.

We had to get out and walk half an hour around a long stretch of rapids on the river - the local Indians had taken advantage of this by having a very welcome crafts and soft drink stall at the bottom end! Fanta seems to be called Hit in Venezuela and isn't as sweet as it is in the UK.

We stopped at an island in the middle of the river just above Canaima lagoon to take the chance to cross behind waterfalls called Salto El Sapo - this proved to be another popular tourist destination, and well deserved. The force and colour of the water was unbelievable, with water recirculated up and backwards by several metres - you were simultaneously hit by water from all directions as it bounced around the rocks. Amazingly, lots of little trumpet shaped red flowers could be found all the way along. We reached the other side to get a great view of the falls - it was so impressive watching the power of the water - I wouldn't want to get washed away in there!

After lunch of tuna pasta salad we completed our boat trip and wandered down to Canaima. It was strange seeing civilisation again - even a tiny village seemed massive! There was construction going on all around, of some sort of theatre and lots of shacks. The cynical part of me says that it was jobs for votes for Chavez.

I went down to the lagoon with some of the guys and got some good photos - really like the front of the Lonely Planet guide. Swimming wasn't too nice, due to there being sharp stuff and weeds at the bottom. Had a beer at a bar on the side of the lagoon, watching the light change.

Sleeping tonight was terrible due to the porters who started packing noisily with the lights on at 3 am - but it didn't spoil the holiday.

We met a group who had just come straight down from Roraima - one we had passed on the way up when we were descending - hiking to the mountain had just been stopped for an investigation into the death of a porter who had drowned at the Rio Kukenan the day after we were there.
Angel Falls