St. Patrick's Day Fun with Good Friends (and some history sprinkled in)

Macon Travel Blog

Normally when I go out of town to visit friends the trip mainly consists of ventures around town for good food, drink and conversation. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised upon my arrival in Macon that I was going to have a chance to see what the city had to offer. Sure, it was a bummer that Erin, the friend I was visiting had to work, but it gave myself, and another friend, DeiDei, who was in town a chance to jaunt around and see what interesting things we could find.

There was the small issue of map navigation which only turned out to be an issue due to the names of roads changing as you were on them (or at least it seemed that way). But, somehow we managed to manuver ourselves the whole, well, it couldn't have been more than a few miles, to a parking spot downtown where we then proceeded to do the ultra-touristy move and went into the visitor's bureau.

Me outside the Georgia Music HOF
Where I was pleased to find the people were helpfull in figuring out how we could spend our open afternoon. We were very excited to learn that for $1, yes, that's just one dollar we could hop on the trolley (so aptly named the "Sweet Melissa".. and so continued the Allman Brothers theme of the trip) and get a tour around town complete with the very polite driver, who so obviously loved his job which is always a major plus, pointing out all the key sites to us along the way. Then instead of doing any of the add-on tours to the trolley ride we instead opted to go into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. I was looking forward to it but didn't know how it would compare as I had been to the Rock Hall in Cleveland but I was really impressed and I stood with some headphones on listening to who else but.
. the Allman Brothers.

The following day we continued on with our own version of the history of Macon tour and wound up at the Rose Hill Cemetary where I anticipated the Civil War section being the most eye catching part. However, as we continued on our way, after seeing Duane Allman's grave too I must note, a group of headstones caught my eye. Sure, they all had the same last name, but the death date was the same on all of them as well. If I'm picturing the image in my head correctly now there were 4 adult sized graves, and 5 child sized graves. Obviously we wondered what could have happened, a fire perhaps? So, as soon as we returned to my friend's house we searched the last name, Woolfolk. Right away we found what we were looking for, the Woolfolk family tragedy, where the son had slaughtered his entire family.

Me next to the "Sweet Melissa" trolley
A heinous crime that history had mostly forgotten brought back by us wandering by their final resting place.

We continued our day by going to nearby Indian mounds, and by walking to the top of one could then see the skyline of Macon. Unfortunately, we missed the cherry blossoms by just a few days, turns out they were a few days behind due to the unseasonably cold weather. However, that wasn't the point of the trip anyway.. the point was hanging out with friends for St. Patrick's Day! And that was a great time! Particularly thanks to Strongbow being available in the area! I remember laughing a lot, the specifics I confess have already escaped me but it was such a good time! I definitely hope to get to go back sooner rather than later.

Douglass Theater, downtown Macon
Me next to the Sweet Melissa tro…
Me next to the "Sweet Melissa" tr…
Erin at work