Preparations...

Charlotte Travel Blog

At the end of this week we leave on our journey abroad, and we're trying to get our ducks lined up in a row.  It seems like just yesterday when we booked the trip, but the time is rapidly approaching and we've only got a few days left to get our gear together.

We can't find our camera, so we've got to buy a new one.  I think we're going to go with a small, but efficient and capable Canon Elph.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

We're trying to pack light so that we don't have to cart around heavy luggage, so we've been trying to figure the perfect clothing schemes.  Shorts.  Jeans.  Slacks.  Golf shirts.  Button downs.  Suits.  And the shoes...the shoes alone may take up a bag.  All in all, I think we're in good shape in the clothing arena.

More electronics.  I've decided to take my laptop so that we can upload pics daily or semi-daily.  Reading Casey's adventures made me realize that we will need 'net/laptop access.  We have a day bag and power converter left over from previous travels (Beth's trip to India in 2005), so we don't really need to pick up any extra electronic gear.  Our iPods are loaded and ready to go!

Reading and Recommendations.  After we booked our trip, we went to the local Barnes and Noble and picked up a travel book for each city.  Reading these books has really gotten us excited and we're looking forward to massive amounts of sightseeing.  Additionally, we've been DVRing various travel shows to pick up some tips.  And I've emailed some friends, including a former law school professor, asking for pubs/restaurants that decidedly local and not too touristy.  I think we're set.

We don't really have a set schedule of sights and sounds we must see.  We don't want to feel rushed...going from museum to museum to historical important building, etc.  We're on vacation, so we'd like to take it easy and go with the flow.  That said, we do have a list of places/things we'd like to see and do in each city.  For example, in London we're going to see Phantom of the Opera and in Prague we're going to see Don Giovani in the Estates Theater, where Mozart premiered it.  We have specific museums we want to visit, like the Louvre.  So, we'll certainly take in the major sights, but we don't plan on breaking our necks to do so.

Any comments, suggestions, or tips would be appreciated, so please feel free to leave a comment.

We'll check back soon...