The sea, which misuses nothing because it values nothing

Koh Samui Travel Blog

I now firmly believe that each person has a set number of boat rides which they can go on in their lifetime, before they overfill their quota and face certain death.

Usually, I am a very very bad sailor. There is no Viking left in me. However, the constant travelling over the last month has knocked all the sissy out of me and it would take a genuine Force Ten to bother me, on land or sea, nausea-wise.

That said, we caught the sleeper train from Bangkok to Surat Thani, and then a bus/boat ticket to the idyllic island paradise of Ko Samui.

After so many weeks off the tourise trail, Ko Samui was a surprise. All your friends, who go to Thailand for two weeks' holiday and come back incredibly brown - they go to Ko Samui. Chaweng is the most popular and apparently most beautiful beach, but it's also the busiest. We'd had enough of being busy, so we went for Lamai.

Lamai is gorgeous. We stayed in bungalows two minutes from the beach, drank Singhas in the sand and ate breakfast in our bikinis. It was hedonistic, to say the least. Em and I bought beachdresses from sandhawkers and swore never to wear clothing again. I learned to walk in the sand. Then we decided, if Lamai is the second-best beach, Chaweng must be even more beautiful.

We had a fight with our turned-out-to-be schizophrenically insane landlady and moved down to Big Buddha Beach, which is near to Chaweng and called Big Buddha Beach because a gigantic golden Buddha statue is perched on top of the mountain overlooking the beach.

Buddha was no where near as nice as Lamai, and Chaweng might have been beautiful, had it not been full of Western tourists.

We left the next day, intent on island-hopping.

Koh Samui