The Beach

Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

Ko Phi Phi is actually two islands, Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Lei. Don is the main one, where everyone stays.

To get there, we got on a speedboat. It was horrific. I thought we were all going to die. The night before, the Israeli girls had told us a story about a boat a few weeks ago which capsized.

We didn't die. We even chose to stay on Long Beach, where we had to get yet another longtail. We stayed in the world's grottiest, most basic concrete hut, hated every second, and moved two hundred metres down the beach at 7.30am the next day. Here we checked into brand new bamboo huts with literally nothing except a matress and some mosquito netting, a porch and a loveseat. It was perfect.

We joined a daytrip around the islands in the immediate vicinity of Phi Phi Don. This included Phi Phi Lei, where it is forbidden to stay because it is uninhabited. It is also the home to Maya Beach, which is the famous beach used in The Beach. We got an enormous boat to the cliffs and then were told, you need to swim across the wild sea and then traverse a slippy, dangerous sea-path in order to see this beach. Em and I took one look at the white waves and stayed on the boat. I am still a sissy, sometimes - and I'm too proud to be dragged to safety by a rescue kayak.

We stayed on the boat all day, taking pictures and occasionally venturing into the sea for brief snorkelling. Mostly, I concentrated on burning my legs so badly that the next day I would have trouble walking.

The last beach was Monkey Beach. Em and I relented in our boat-love, and kayaked across. A monkey hijacked our canoe, bit Emma on the leg and stole her snorkel-mask. We only retrieved our canoe with the help of a friendly tourist.

Later, we went to Phi Phi International Hospital (cats welcome in the waiting room) for a rabies jab.

Still later, on the longtail back across to Long Beach, my bagstrap broke and my phone, camera and three weeks and 2.5gb of pictures had an unhelpful interaction with the Andaman Sea.

It rained from 3pm until forever. The next day, we needed to get to Phuket, in order to fly back to Bangkok for an afternoon of shopping goodness before flying from Bangkok to England.
WRBoyd says:
a monkey stole a kayak and bit you?, those are some amazing creatures, I saw a video on you tube, a monkey ran up and drank someones can of coke!
Posted on: Mar 12, 2008