The Journey Begins

Honolulu Airport Travel Blog

It’s time once again for my annual epic birthday trip!  Last year was Australia, the year before that was Mongolia.  I made a comment in my Australia blog that I never know where I’m going to go from year to year, and that’s one of the fun things about my life.  I usually just go with a gut feeling in the months leading up to it.  This year I saw something online or on TV about Tanzania/Zanzibar, and it stuck in my mind for a couple months until I finally pulled the trigger on booking this trip.  It was an audacious plan indeed given the distance from Hawaii, the amount of time away from work, and the cost of something like that. What I had on my side though were a bunch of frequent flier miles on American Airways.  I went to their website, and through a combo of American and their One World partner, British Air, flying east from Honolulu to Nairobi, I was able to get first or business most of the way for 127,000 miles, or about 2 years worth for me.  I couldn’t get the last short leg into Tanzania through One World Alliance, so I booked it separately for a few hundred on Kenyan Airways.  The trip was set… transport booked, now just to find a tour or some kind of ground plan.  I’m not a fan of group tours and i prefer flexibility (unfortunately that ratchets up the price, but i wanted to pick dates and activities).  So I found a private, luxury tour operator with good reviews online, Kapolondo Expeditions - full review later in the blog.  Now I have no problem traveling alone, however this time I was fortunate enough that a friend of mine, Danielle, who lives in Korea caught the fever and was all in on this trip.  The more the merrier.  She’d be traveling west from Incheon, I’d be traveling east from Honolulu, we’d meet in Nairobi, and take the same flight into Kilimanjaro.

The routing…

Well, thanks to my One World Alliance, like I said, I had to fly east (it’s really a toss up from Hawaii anyway).  Routing was HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-NBO-JRO.  I’ll review the flights separately….

amudha_colaco says:
Congrats on the feature!!
monkeymia79 says:
Congratulation on your featured blog.

I have started to go away or do activities for my birthday as I don't need more 'stuff'.
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured blog!
Honolulu Airport