All

Palo Verde, CA. Travel Blog

Talked with rangers at a border patrol station today and got some much needed water (cold too!).  They say I'm 1-1/2 mo. too late for a desert crossing.  I'm thinking 40 yrs. and 1-1/2 mo.  Its been right on the front burner of my mental stove - should I continue or pack it in?  This country is beautiful but hostile and unforgiving too.  I thinking I'm drinking too little or too much and just dashing from shade to shade.  I ate lunch under a dinky shrub with a little lizard but was shaky and spilled tuna fish water on my legs which drew ants from a mile away.  My pulse has increased but I can't time it because the sun is too bright to see my watch face.  I'm finsihed but there's no phone service.  Thankfully a pickup stopped and hauled me the 13 mi. left to Blythe, Ca.  I couldn't have made it.  The day before he passed me going the other way to Mexico and commented to his wife "That guy's all done in".  So, thanks to Roland Roe for going out of his way, thanks for my family and coworkers for thinking of me and thanks to Judy and Jack for the 430 mi. round trip to retrieve me.  Maybe another route, a different season - sometime.
Rawhide says:
Glad your O.K.,keep in touch and call us when you get a chance...Rawhide
Posted on: Jun 26, 2006
NManitou says:
Dan, I'm glad you are alright. Sounds like you made the right decision. You learned alot for the next time!! Hey, are we still going to ride out to the thumb? No snakes anyway! Can't wait to here about your trip.
Posted on: Jun 15, 2006