Morocco

Casablanca Travel Blog

I remember with great clearness the moment I stepped out of the airport: the sun, as I have never seen it, struck me with its brightness, so much that I could not look at the landscape without sunshades. All the white buildings, as though I had stepped in a dream, contrasted with the ochre tone of the ground, that seemed to have been, very long ago, stained with the blood of some great courageous men. So many taxis, and so many people speaking loudly at the same time... and since my senses were dampened by the heat, I just sat down and closed my eyes. I was happy to be here. I was happy to find life, movement, heat, a good change of scene.

After some wait, I finally arrived to Casablaca (Dar el-Beïda in arabic, literally meaning "the white house"). The city has generally a very occidental feeling to it, with elegenant women walking down the streets, between a Mango store and café Chez Paul, like in Paris. In other neighbourhoods, we find more typical surroundings, it just depends on what you feel like seeing. Although traffic is very chaotic at times, it's nice to have a walk, to go for an ice cream at Oliveri in the evenning, or to roam on La Corniche, the very lively street on the ocean shore, or to go and have a night out on the town. But what I enjoyed even more was having a tea with my aunt, a native, sitted in her living room on large sofas, talking for hours, à la marocaine.

The Atlantic