AsiaChinaGuilin

I made it! 650 kms, 7 days

Guilin Travel Blog

Arriving in Guilin

Today I thought I might check out the other terraces around Ping'an before leaving, but there was heavy fog and it was heard to see anything, so I decided to start biking right away. I took the wrong road out of the Longji terraces, which ended up adding about 5 more km over a mountain pass to my day. It was a pleasant ride though and I eventually found my way back to the main road.

My goal was to reach the city of Guilin, about 100 km away from Ping'an. I thought it might just be possible to get there before dark, but I found myself rolling in around 4:30. With a smile on my face, I joined the commuting and delivery cycles on the separate bike lane leading to Guilin. Guilin is famous for it's karst mountain scenery and I took it in while I rode into town.

Karst scenery
The terrain so far had been mountainous, but the mountains were much more broad than these. This seemed to be the first place I encountered where the karst mountains sprang up.

Guilin marks the end of my bike trip in China. In total I did about 600-650 km in 7 days. This was much quicker than I thought I could do, but when you're biking by yourself and you spend the whole day on the bike, you can get quite far. The scenery was beautiful, especially in untouristed Guizhou province. It is a bike trip worth doing and I'm glad I found such a nice spot in the Chinese countryside. The informal Mandarin lessons I received in Beijing definitely helped too, as almost no one spoke English (I even met some old people who couldn't speak Mandarin). I had done the trip solo, but I had never felt like I couldn't handle it. I had some tough times, but I always managed to figure something out. This trip definitely made all the effort it took to drag Rusty Jr. from Canada worth it.

casey says:
Good to hear Rusty Jr. came in handy and that you ended with a good ride.
Posted on: Dec 13, 2007