Hectic Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

My train from Guilin arrived around noon at Shenzhen Special Economic Zone, China. I dragged my bike panniers down the numerous long corridors to the "border" between China and Hong Kong (Rusty Jr. was shipped ahead from Guilin to Hong Kong about a week ago). I said goodbye to China, crossed a footbridge, and found myself in Hong Kong (technically still part of China). The difference was immediately obvious. Even the people looked different. I exchanged my RMB for some HK dollars (really colourful bills and British-style excessively large coins) and hopped on the train to Kowloon.

The trip was quick and efficient and within an hour I found myself wandering around Nathan Rd in Hong Kong, looking for a place to stay. I eventually found a hostel inside the Mirador "Mansion". Something must be lost in translation though, because this building was an aging, ugly apartment block. But the price was right, especially for Hong Kong. For less than $10 Canadian I got a dormitory bed on the third floor. Apparently there are hundreds of other hostels in this mansion, all serving different types of customers. You can see them all lining up for the tremendously slow elevators. The staff at my hostel were shockingly unhelpful. When I checked in, the lady asked what the bag at my feet was for. I replied, a bit startled, "That's my luggage." Huh?

I don't really have much time to explore Hong Kong on this trip. Tomorrow is my flight back to Canada. I still haven't found my bike yet, and I'm not exactly sure where to look. Hopefully everything will fall into place in time for me and Rusty Jr. to get back home.

casey says: