AsiaChinaGuilin

Exploring by foot

Guilin Travel Blog

Dried up Li River

Now that I'm off the bike again, I took some time to explore Guilin by foot. I'm a bit worn out from travelling, so I didn't do too much since I've been here. It's also dry season, so the famous Li River is a bit low and not as scenic as it normally is. In fact, I keep seeing on the news that the river is the lowest it has been in a very long time. It's unfortunate because Guilin's river scenery looked so nice in pictures, but not so interesting now that I'm here. Guilin is also full of hawkers and scam artists, so I try to keep to myself.

The restaurants here all have displays outside of their food selection. Maybe other travellers like to be able to hand-choose which chicken they will eat, but it doesn't interest me much. There is quite a colourful selection though.

Drums towers in Guilin
I have seen chickens, ducks, rabbits, lots of fish, clams, turtles, and snakes on display out front of these restaurants. I have mostly eaten other more vegetarian-friendly local delicacies, such as Guilin rice-noodles and a cooked rice with vegetables dish.

I took a trip to the "Seven Stars" park northeast of town and was quite disappointed. The place was pretty run down, full of cheesy kid-themed displays, and it housed a really depressing zoo. The only highlight was a cheeky monkey who for some reason was allowed to wander loose. I had a bag full of oranges and fed the guy the whole lot. He devoured them, then grabbed at me for more, much to the delight of the Chinese tourists who watched me feed him.

Monkey eats orange