Dust in the wind

Zhaoxing Travel Blog

Old tree by the river

I had heard rumours from other travellers that the road along the border between Guizhou and Guangxi provinces was in an awful state of disrepair. I hoped to avoid this by taking an alternate route which remained in Guizhou longer and bypassed most of the unfinished road. Well, things didn't quite work out like that. Heading out of Congjiang, I saw two motorcycles stop and I asked the drivers which way to go to Zhaoxing, my next destination. They directed me to continue down the road I was on. I should have known something was wrong when the started putting on protective clothing while telling me this. The road soon turned from nice and paved to a dirty, rocky mess. The tour buses passing by always pulled up a huge storm of dust behind them. I covered my face like an old-west bandit to avoid breathing in too much of the dust.

Progress was slow, but steady. I pushed my way along this road for maybe 20-30 km before I found the turn off for Zhaoxing. Thankfully, it was paved! I was tired from the rough ride but I still had about 40 km to go before Zhaoxing. I had started late, thinking the ride to Zhaoxing would be easy, but now I had to rush to get there before dark. I did make it in time, but barely. I ran out of energy shortly before Zhaoxing and I just rolled into town before the sun set for the night.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here