Down the Li River

Yangshuo Travel Blog

Li River in Yangshuo

A short bus ride took me to Yangshuo, just down the Li River from Guilin. Being a smaller town, it is easier to appreciate the karst scenery that surrounds Yangshuo. Big karst cliffsides jut out impressively right beside the city streets. But the smog still dulls the view and the low level of the Li river ruins the riverside scenery. Yangshuo is more beautiful than Guilin, but still not as nice as the countryside I saw during my time on the bike. A typical way to get to Yangshuo is by boat down the river, but I hear the water is too low to even do that anymore. Shame.

The main drag in Yangshuo is Xi Jie (West Street), and it is positively full of tourist shops, small hotels and restaurants. It is a bit overwhelming after the simplicity of the countryside.

Karst scenery
It is also pretty noisy as there are a lot of bars on the street. I avoided one hostel because it was right next to a club pumping out the music and found a cheap hotel farther down the street.

Spent a day or two wandering along the dried-up riverside and exploring a bit of the nearby countryside. The karst scenery is nice, but I keep thinking it's not as nice as it should be. Maybe in high season it is prettier. I still think the time I spent in Guizhou was nicer, but maybe it was because I didn't see any foreigners for a week and now this place is overrun with them and shops that cater to them. There are many tours offering trips through cave networks and to nearby scenic spots on the river, but I'm not interested in them. Maybe I'll come back when it's a better time and I can appreciate it more.

Colourful lanterns