Back on the bikes!

Ulan-Ude Travel Blog

Setting up camp for the night
The train pulled into Ulan-Ude station around midday and we unloaded our bikes easily. Zack was very tired at this point because he hadn't slept very well in the train station (who would?), and we ended up staying in the first place we found, which happened to be an expensive ($50/night/person) hotel. Needless to say, this was out of our budget range, but the group wasn't interested in wasting half the day searching for something cheaper. We stashed our bikes in a stairwell and were shown to our triple room. We drained all the hot water in the hotel washing ourselves and our clothes, but it was good to be a bit cleaner after spending several days in the rain.

We didn't have much time for sightseeing in Ulan-Ude, and there wasn't really much to see except for the giant Lenin head in the main square.
Siberian sunset
We spent several hours searching for an internet cafe and by the time we found one, it was already dark. The place was full of kids playing WoW, Warcraft III and Counterstrike. Zack and I talked about how we wanted to challenge all the 12 year old boys to a couple rounds of Counterstrike and get completely destroyed, but we didn't have enough time.

After one night in the hotel, we planned to leave just after lunch. It took us a little longer to get going than we thought because I had both a flat tire (easy to fix) and a bent chainring (harder to fix, but we bent it back with a pair of scissors). We left town and were immediately greeted by the wind, blasting us directly from the front. It was slow going, but even with this wind, we managed 40-50 km outside of Irkutsk before we stopped for the night. Our campsite, although away from the roads and behind some trees, still attracted a lot of attention, and I heard several people walk by and say 'hello!' while I was in my tent. Confusing sleep with reality, I ignored them. Fortunately, our bikes were locked together and no one touched them during the night.
sylviandavid says:
I am reading this to my husband. nice blog. sylvia
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007