Back to China???

Shenzhen Travel Blog

I woke up early today to try and find my bike in Hong Kong. I went to Hung Hom, the main rail station, and inquired there. The lady at the information desk told me that if my bike was shipped from China, it would be stopped at the border and I would have to pick it up there. I rushed back to the China/HK border and asked one of the train company staff there about my bike. He repeated what the lady had told me earlier, that the bike would only have been shipped to the border town of Shenzhen and I would have to pick it up from there and bring it across myself. Not wanting to waste any time, I applied for a temporary 5-day visa to go back to Shenzhen, which was given within 10 minutes. I rushed across the border and stopped once again and asked an information desk staffer for help. She showed me where the shipping depot was in Shenzhen, a few km from where we stood. I said to her, "Why don't you call the phone number on my receipt and check for me." She called and talked with them for a few minutes. When she finished, she informed me that yes my bike had arrived in Shenzhen, but that it had since been transferred to... HONG KONG! She gave me a Hong Kong phone number (long distance from where we were, even though it was only a few hundred metres to Hong Kong) and told me to call when I went back. Amazed at the bureaucracy and cluelessness on display today, I left China once again.
photo by: darlingwish