Dogsledding on a Glacier!

Husafell Travel Blog

Another great day in Iceland! We left Reykjavík at 10:45am to head northwest. We got gas, which is always an adventure in a new country, and drove through a tunnel that went underwater so far that our ears popped!

We raced up to Husafell and managed to catch the shuttle driver (we didn't need since we have a 4x4) who let us follow him. OMG! He flew along 20km of gravel roads, throwing up a great cloud of dust at high-speed! It was like the Dukes of Hazzard or the Dempster highway, all over again! My Fitbit thought I'd walked 12,000 steps while on that bumpy road!

Lia checked dogsledding on a glacier off her bucket list! Great experience! Only 1 spot was open and Lia got it, but I got to wait on the glacier and visit with Channing Silvertooth who is volunteering (via Work Abroad) there for the summer. She is a UT Austin upcoming Junior who was in Health Science Honors!! Jazy Hill or Charles Hill, do you know her? She just switched to Nursing. I got to help by grooming Kiliko, a dog who was in "The Secret Life of Walter Middie" movie that was filmed in Iceland! And she introduced me to the other dogs who were awesome. What a fantastic afternoon!

Then we stopped at an overlook that turned out to be an amazing waterfall named Barnafoss!

Decided to head clockwise around the ring road and found a little campground in Varmaland. Cooked dinner of beans and some bread while the howling wind kept blowing out our gas stove.

Beautiful but cold to us weather. I can only imagine the winters!!

Google Photos:  Day 3 Iceland:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/XHjDthUVwlu4IlKy1