Casinos and snow

South Lake Tahoe Travel Blog

We left Resort and Squaw Creek and made the hour drive to South Lake Tahoe to the Marriot. Several stops at several tourist photo ops along the way made the arctic-cold trip bearable. Emerald Bay is beautiful. The blue water alone the back drop of mountains and hills steeped in pine trees--I could almost smell them. I experienced my first hail storm and first snowfall, in sandals no less. Moronically I forgot my shoes when I knew I was going somewhere cold. No worries, we passed by a shopping center where I purchased a pair of Bass hiking boots. We were greeted at Heavenly Valley by snowfall and the casino lights that could have rivaled the Main Street Electrical Parade. Pricey, independent shops line the main street. Although it was snowing, it wasn't enough to warrant the resort to open the lifts. So I went to play poker for the first time, and lost $85 of my friend's money on a no limit table. Made it back on subsequent trips. Poker is damn ugly•you need to know when to stop. My friend said, at casinos you see the ugliness of human nature. I agree.

South Lake Tahoe