Beaches and cervezas!

Cozumel Travel Blog

HRC Cozumel

I was surfing the web one day and saw a $158 return fare on Continental from Indianapolis to Cancun.

Come again?   $158??   My "free" ticket to Cancun would be $60 because of taxes.   You mean to tell me that for $98 more I can fly to Cancun confirmed and not deal with the hassle of stand-by?   Click!  I am there!   I rarely buy positve space tickets but could not pass this one up.

Cancun is a nonrevenue traveler's "black hole".   It is very difficult to fly there on stand-by and I have heard horror stories of people stranded there for a week.   I had never been, mainly for that reason.   Of course, I purchased this fare immediately and started to plan.

Cozumel

Being that it was January in Indianapolis, I would definitely go to the beach.  I would also visit the two Hard Rock Cafes that are in the area.  Other than that, it would be relax and drink some cervezas.

On January 25, I flew from Indianapolis to Houston on a Continental 737-500 and then connected to a Continental 737-800 to Cancun.  I arrived in Cancun around 11am and took a bus down to Playa del Carmen.  I had a reservation at the Popol Vuh hostel in Playa del Carmen and it was easy to find.  The hostel was not bad but I don't think I would stay there again.  There are better places close by in the same price range.  The good thing about the hostel is that it was in a great location.  You could be to the beach in 30 seconds!  It was also a few minutes walk to the bus station and ferry port.

HRC Cozumel

After settling in, I went over to the ferry and rode it over to Cozumel.  It took about 20 minutes and once there, I went to the Hard Rock Cafe.  It is the smallest location in the world and the staff was fantastic.  I had a few beers and then walked around all over the area until well after dark.  I ate a great mexican dinner at a restaurant across from the ferry port and I am sorry but I do not remeber the name.   I ended up just sitting in a little public square drinking some Sol beers, later moving to the ferry port and doing the same thing.   It was a perfect evening and I was so relaxed, which was something I had not felt in awhile.  At around 10pm, I took the ferry back to Playa del Carmen(PDC).

Cozumel
  I went to the hostel and went to sleep.

The next day I took a bus from PDC to Cancun and then connected to the local bus into the tourist zone.  I was only going there to visit the Hard Rock Cafe in Cancun.   It was a quick visit and soon I was reversing my route back to PDC.  I spent the remainder of the day at the nice beach in PDC.

The next day I caught the bus from PDC to Cancun airport.  I flew Cancun to Houston on a Continental 737-800 and connected to Indinapolis on a Continental 737-500.  It was no fun being back in the cold but it was great to be back home.

I would go to PDC and Cozumel again but don't know if or when that will happen..........

montecarlostar says:
I agree that this was an excellent deal! I would aldo take it with no hesitation.
Posted on: Oct 20, 2009
Cozumel
This was the nicest staff in all o…
This was the nicest staff in all …
93 km (58 miles) traveled