Kumasi

Kumasi Travel Blog

Julian at the market
This weekend was our trip to Kumasi. It's in the central part of the country; it's supposed to be about a three hour drive. It took seven. Seven hours on an increidbly cramped bus. We sat there not moving for about two hours in one spot, starting at 5:30 AM. It was seven hours home too. Kumasi is the 'headquarters' of the Ashantis, an ethnic group that comprises a large part of Ghana. The Ashanti king is one of the most powerful people in the country - people send him lots of money and he holds a lot of political clout. We took a tour of his "palace" that the British built for him. It's no Versailles, but it had some interesting stuff in it. (No picture taking allowed).

The rest of the trip consisted of a lot of shopping.
Julian's brother and mom
I got some great gifts at the Cultural Alliance, and we saw the stool-making area where we bought more stuff. The Ashantis are really into stools. They have a golden stool in which they believe that if it is taken away the kingdom will crumble. The British tried to take it away when they waged (one of four) wars against them and sent their king into exile.

So Sunita, Ani, Barbara and I proceeded to go to an Indian restaurant for dinner to get a real taste of the local culture, you know. It was way good. Then the next morning we went to the market. It's the largest market in all of West Africa. We bought a lot of fabric and some jewelry. We wanted to take more pictures, but the people there are either incredibly averse to having their picture taken or beg you to 'snap them.' Then we had lunch whch took two hours to arrive but was good after we ran through the pouring down rain to catch the bus and eat it.

Had a fantastic Lost, wine, and popcorn marathon today - oh America.
arlene0725 says:
All I want to say, the best Indian food I ever had was in Kenya. Dang, dang tres bien!!! I've eaten in the indian restaurants in NYC in Kenya was yummy. best, Arlene
Posted on: Nov 02, 2007
Julians brother and mom
Julian's brother and mom
Our weird tour guide in front of t…
Our weird tour guide in front of …
Peacock at the palace