In Honor of Sheila Goodman

Accra Travel Blog

This post is for Sheila Goodman, an avid food aficionado and fellow globe trotter currently in Singapore. We had been INCREDIBLY bored all day on Sunday. We exhausted all of our possible movie options andthen sat around for a while. Americans are incredibly over-stimulated. If I'm at home and I'm not doing something, I feel like I'm wasting time. There's always something going on, someone to see, something that needs to be done. Ghanians are more laid back, shall we way. They don't mind sitting around doing nothing four hours on end or waiting forever at a restaurant.

So to quell the boredom, Sunday night we went to this restaurant that one of the girls had driven by in Osu. It's called El Gaucho, and so with our American mindset, we assumed that it was Mexican. Driving past it looks more like a prison in its enclosed gate with just a white-washed sign sticking out front, but inside it was like a New York restaurant - it turned out to be an Argentinian steakhouse. It had some of the BEST food. It still made me sick, but what doesn't nowadays? Dessert was banana flambee with vanilla icecream. My only complaint is that the coffee is instant, but that seems to be symptomatic of everywhere in Accra.

I'm taking a Creative Writing class, which is totally out of character for me, but I think it's going to be a really great class. It's at the University of Ghana but there's only 10 kids in it, all from NYU. I'm also taking The Politics of Sub-Saharan Africa at the University of Ghana. I think it's going to be a great class, too, but I have mixed feelings about it. It's taught by the head of the Politics Department at UG. The University has a major facility and staff shortage. Classes usually have upwards of 1,000 students in them, and classes meet at incredbily early and late times to fit them all in. The book shortage is not only symptomatic of the University, but also of the country. And this university is the major one in the country wiht 28,000 students. And we wonder why the continent has a leadership problem? There are few opportunities for the few students who actually do get to attend university at all. So when the head of the Politics Department takes three hours a week out of his schedule to teach 6 already privileged NYU students, I have some quams about it. But I guess if we had more Americans who wanted to learn about the politics of sub-Saharan Africa, perhaps the problem wouldn't be as severe.

Congratulations on making it to the bottom of this rambling. I'll work on some pictures soon.
photo by: qophys