Surfing Dominical

Dominical Travel Blog

Dominical Beach
We had our vegan breakfast at the Villas (tofu scramble and hash browns, papaya nectar, coffee) and drove the 5 minutes to Dominical beach. It's a sleepy surf town with dirt roads - mostly expats and tourists on the beach, although not very many. We parked in between the palm trees on the beach and set up our towels right in front of the car...I was a bit paranoid after all I'd heard from friends about car break-ins here. Morgan put on his fins and swam around to check out the surf and I worked on my burn.

We walked over to the Café Duena for "the best coffee in town" (I have nothing to compare it to, but I have to say, it was a damn good frappuccino...nice and strong and frothy.
Selfie at Dominical Beach
Morgan had his double espresso.) We used their free internet to catch up on emails/FB (no internet at the Villas), and then Morgan rented a surfboard and we spent the rest of the day at the beach. The waves were definitely bigger than where Morgan usually goes (Huntington Beach, California) and they were constant. He said he got a few good runs in, but I couldn't find him...the waves broke too far out. There was a wicked rip current too, so I figured he was much further down the beach.

So I got a massage on the beach, under the palms, by Glen, this guy in his late 50's who left California 27 years ago to visit Costa Rica and never came back. He was a lifeguard around L.A. so he and Morgan played the "who do you know" game - they connected on a few people, even though they were in the lifeguard program many years apart.
Dominical Beach
Glen's policy was zero chatting, and then he proceeded to chat about all the details of the massage, and when Morgan came back, talked to him (and anyone else who came by). The hour massage was $45, and he stressed many times if we came back the next day, we could get a "locals" price of $30 (business was apparently slow). Good massage though.

Morgan went back in the water to try to catch a few more waves (it was tough - the tide had gone out and the waves were closing out), and we watched a microlight plane land and take-off from the beach for 10-minute tourist flights ($55, but no cameras on board - we decided against it - I've been on an ultralight before, which was fantastic, but it's a bit less flimsy-looking). We went to a tour shop to inquire about the Nauyuca falls by horseback trip, but apparently it fills up quickly, and was indeed sold out.
Morgan getting his surf on at Dominical Beach
We may go by tomorrow morning to see if there were any no-shows, or we can always just hike it.

We went to another local soda, Nanyoa, to grab dinner - it had gotten a good review in the Lonely Planet. The mixed ceviche was great, but my "fish taco" was more like a deep-fried burrito, with coated/fried fish inside it, and lettuce on top, spritzed with ketchup and mayo, and fries on the side. It was like a huge breadcrumb taquito. But my pineapple milk smoothie was delicious.

It's 7:35pm, and we're back at the villa, showered and ready for bed. This from a night owl who usually gets to bed at 3am. Ha! It's quiet though - I think we're the only folks staying here.
Dominical Beach
Morgan getting his surf on at Domi…
Morgan getting his surf on at Dom…
Sunset at Dominical Beach