Surf Day and an Old Friend

Dominical Travel Blog

After breakfast, we went straight to the beach. Morgan rented a surfboard and hit the waves as I read my book on the beach (in the shade) and watched all the surfers. He broke for lunch, and we went back to Cafe Duena again to split a turkey sandwich and get some of those yummy coffee drinks. They had some Baileys, so I had them add a shot. Used the free wifi, then back to the beach for another go at the waves. The best surfing is in the morning when it's high tide, but there's still plenty of waves afterwards. We went to the touristy bar/restaurant on the corner to split a plate of nachos and I wanted a vacation-y rum drink (a strong frozen strawberry daiquiri).

Morgan went out a third time, caught a few waves and when he came back in, we watched the sunset, then I tried texting Joe Gilland, a friend from my animation days (we worked together at Bluth Animation, and he worked with my ex-husband at Disney). We agreed to meet for dinner at a local soda in between the beach and our villa. The directions were: "right before the restaurant with the passenger jet that they moved piece by piece through the jungle and reconstructed it." Indeed...it was right before the huge plane.

We zipped back to Waterfall Villas for a quick shower and change of clothes and met Joe and his lady Maria there. Maria is Hungarian, but they all met on Vancouver Island where Joe was having his first fine art show. They gave up the animation life, which is always near or in a city, and bought a large piece of property up the road from Dominical about 40 minutes. Well, only 10-15 minutes, but then you have to drive on a dirt road for 17 kilometers, through a couple of small rivers! They had had a helluva day as their shipping container full of all their worldly possessions had finally arrived and it was a whole drama with the shipping company actually delivering the goods. It was great to see him - he seems to be in his element in Costa Rica.
Dominical