Sarapiqui--It's For the Birds

Sarapiqui Travel Blog

After an excruciatingly slow breakfast service (the food service was slow every time in Miss Junie's restaurant), we finally paid our restaurant bill, got our bags and got on the boat back to town, and then onto a private van to take us to Sarapiqui. About halfway we had a bathroom/snack stop at a large supermarket, and they had cakes and birthday candles! So I grabbed a large Tres Leches cake and some colorful candles and when we stopped for lunch in Sarapiqui, Esteban asked the staff to bring it out with plates and spoons. It was windy and the candles kept going out, but at least it was something!

We are at Posada Andrea Cristina - a charming lodge amid tropical foliage with bedrooms in individual buildings.
Mario's room is a treehouse. The tagline here is "It's for the birds" - they have an area where they put up pieces of papaya and other fruit, and the colorful, exotic birds just flock around here - I don't know the names of any of them yet, except these black ones with a red patch that Esteban calls "sergeants" and one woodpecker, but the area is just lovely. There are paths going through the jungly grounds, and a main pavilion with a roof which serves as the breakfast area, and is where I'm sitting to catch up on my blog, since we have a free afternoon.

We and Jane signed up for the river rafting on the Sarapiqui River tomorrow - it's a class II-III with an outfitter called Green Rivers, and they got excellent reviews online, so even though Jane had a very scary experience the last time she rafted, she feels confident enough to try again and get over her fear. Morgan went for a jog (he came back soaking wet) and I've been sitting here entertaining one of the posada dogs - this poor thing has one long leg. He's figured out how to walk and run with it like that though - doesn't slow him down any. Super cute. Looks like a cross between and English Springer Spaniel and a Beagle. There's a posada cat as well
Sloth!!