One Last Quetzal

San Jose Travel Blog

At the quirkly Hotel Don Carlos
We got up at 5am to pack and grab a quick breakfast of toast, cookies and coffee at Teresita's, write something in her guestbook and jump in Julio's truck to try to view some quetzals. Providencia is located in the middle of the Quetzals National Park. Matthias said he once saw hundreds of them at once.

I thought we were going to go to the park entrance and get a guide, as we had been doing, but we were just going up the road about halfway, and then stopping off at some guy's house...he got out and, after making sure there weren't any quetzals sitting on the aguacate (avocado) tree in front of the house, led us on a trek through the woods. After a 15 minute hike, he spotted one and we got some pix, but honestly, I was just happy to walking through the beautiful forest with the waterfalls running through it.
Hotel Don Carlos
We crossed over it on a long, flat fallen log, Morgan picked some wild, sour blackberries to munch on and we saw a humongous bee hive in the hollow of a tree. Then we came back to the house, where they keep a tilapia fishery in the side yard, and started off again.

The plan was to take us to Cartago, a town 9-10 miles outside of San Jose, drop us off at the basilica, and then we could get a bite to eat and take a cab back to San Jose. Julio's truck cab was tight, and my hips were really torqued and I kept trying to find a position that was comfortable, so when I asked him where the taxis are in Cartago, he thought I wanted one immediately due to my discomfort.
Hotel Don Carlos
I just wanted to know where to go after the basilica. But he had already hailed a cab (while we were driving), and the guy pulled over so we said goodbye to Julio, grabbed our day packs out of the back, and we told the cab driver to forget the basilica and just take us back to the Don Carlos Hotel in San Jose. There comes a point in traveling when your head is just in the "we're going home" space.

The taxi ride was $30 (no credit cards taken in that one...the red cabs have a blue light-up sign on the roof if they accept credit cards). We got our bags, I changed my clothes in the restroom, and then we went across the street to a new wrap sandwich/juice/coffee bar called Zero Army and got some wraps, juice and coffee while we caught up using their WIFI. Now to buy some souvenirs at the swell hotel gift shop, and then off to the airport.

If you liked the blog, please send me a smile or a comment, and if you have any questions about our trip, feel free to send me an email and I'll help you out as best I can. Pura vida!!
With Teresita