AsiaChinaBeijing

UIBE Week 2

Beijing Travel Blog

The scorpians!

I slept until 1pm on the Monday.  A much needed rest after hammering my liver 2 nights on the trot. The hangover incapacitated me for the rest of the day, so I started working on my assignment.

Back to lessons the following day....The afternoon was spent learning Tai Chi, which was fun.....

The following day was pretty much the same, except the afternoon was spent learning Calligraphy.  Unlike the Tai Chi, I was rubbish at it...I definitely don’t possess this kind of artistic talent.

The next day was pretty tough.  I ended up having to present a lesson plan to the entire class out of the blue, which I found completely nerve racking.

In goes the first scorpian
 Definitely need to deal with the nerves before I stand in front of a class for real!

I obviously needed a few drinks after school to recover so I went to a pizza restaurant (Big Pizza) with a few people and enjoyed an ‘all you can eat’ buffet complete with beer.  A few more bevies on campus followed and the evening ended with me being taught to Tango in the street by Piotr, a Polish guy in my class with a love for ballroom dancing!  I believe there may be a video floating around somewhere on You Tube, courtesy of Fergus, a fellow Brit who clearly gets enjoyment out of trying to embarrass people!

On Friday night, a group of us headed back to the night market at Wanfujing....I was determined to try some of the ‘delicacies’ given I’d chickened out last time.  I tucked into the fried scorpion first and was actually presently surprised.

Wiping away the grease
..It tasted much like fried chicken skin so I managed to gobble up all 3 on my kebab stick!  Star fish followed....now this IS disgusting.  It’s like how I imagine eating grit from the road would be ��" not appetising in the slightest, very bitter and very gritty!  Finally, I got convinced into trying sheep’s testicles.  I have no idea what they were coated in, but it was RANCID!  The meat itself wasn’t too bad, but the smell and taste of the seasoning was abhorrent!! As this was the last thing I tried, I needed something to take away the taste, so another trip to Mackie D’s was in order.

Saturday lessons were same old, but we also had our last Mandarin class, thank goodness.  I have had a total of 10 Mandarin classes and have learnt precisely nothing, which means either the teacher wasn’t very good, or I have no talent.

Eating a star fish
  I’m guessing it’s was perhaps a combination of the two with a bit more of the latter so have resigned myself to the fact that I’m perhaps not going to reach fluency during my stay in China!!

That evening, I went to Big Pizza again and ended up playing drinking games back on campus with Martin, Fergus and Fabian.  The game consisted of us having to flick a coin into a glass.  I was completely rubbish at it, which in theory meant more drinking for me had the boys not taken pity, for which I was very grateful.  Still, we did manage to finish the whole bottle of whiskey I’d carried all the way from Russia, and then we headed to meet a load of others at a bar by Houhai Lake.

I had a really fun evening, which continued until the early hours of the morning back at campus....

Needless to say, Sunday was a write-off and I spent the day mainly lying very still!

Amy with the star fish
Amy with the star fish
Jakob tucking in to a pigs testic…
Jakob tucking in to a pig's testi…
Heidis not so sure
Jakob tries another delicacy
Jakob tries another delicacy
Scorpians at the night market
Scorpians at the night market
Eating the fried scorpians!
Eating the fried scorpians!
Andrea and Shangin in class at UIBE