AsiaNepalPokhara

Passing through Pokhara

Pokhara Travel Blog

Plowing in Pokhara

Though Pokhara was slightly warmer than Kathmandu, snow on nearby hills made us shiver. The high Himalayas were hidden in gray overcast and it was the first threat of rain we had seen since leaving Thailand. Under threatening skies, Chris and I found a room at the Garden Hotel for 33 Nepalese Rupees.

By morning, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the Himalayas were breathtaking; much closer than the peaks above Kathmandu. We walked to the nearby lake and rented a flat-bottomed, wooden boat for five Rupees per hour. A Canadian couple we had met on the bus was departing on a trek into the mountains so Chris and I rowed them to the far shore. We placed them in a cultivated field where a farm family eagerly ran out to greet them. On our return trip, we paused to drift and savor a lunch of bread and cheese, and to admire the scenery around us.

Machapuchare towers above Pokhara at 23,160 feet.
When we returned to shore, my hands were blistered by the heavy, water-logged paddle.

The following morning, the rising sun cast a red-orange glow on Machapuchare and countless other peaks as our overloaded bus labored south. The narrow road jack-knifed from one green or brown cultivated terrace to the next, like a gravel stairway leading us downward off the roof of the world. By late afternoon we reached the border, not far from Lumpini, the birthplace of Buddha.

Chris and I got a room for the night. The warmer temperatures brought not only a trace of humidity, but mosquitos, lizards, and cockroaches. Our room also housed an active bird nest.  The next day, we crossed back into India.

Plowing in Pokhara
Machapuchare towers above Pokhara …
Machapuchare towers above Pokhara…
Pokhara