Chris Arrives

Bangkok Travel Blog

Scott had introduced me to Chris just three months earlier, in Michigan. I immediately admired her keen mind and snappy wit, her appreciation for adventure, and her independence. She had quit her job in the iron ore mines after fourteen years; realizing life was too significant to spend working at a job she despised. Many people held that attitude, but Chris did something about it and I respected that.

Knowing that she would make a terrific traveling mate and could handle herself amid the deplorable conditions we would certainly encounter, I invited her along for a winter in Asia. It would be her first trip out of the country and we agreed on a date to meet at the airport in Bangkok. That day arrived and I found a train out to Don Muang for five Baht (20 cents U.S.)

Don Muang was a major crossroads of the world. A traveler could go north to the orient; west to Asia, Africa or Europe; south to the lands down under; or east to the Americas or countless destinations in the southern seas. A continuous stream of jumbo jets, day and night, landed and departed the ever-expanding airport and generated a shuffling sea of activity. Passengers from all corners of the world, air crews, venders, ground crews, money exchangers, baggage handlers and taxi drivers all scurried in a swirling mass of urgency and confusion. Chris' flight was already on the ground.

Immigration and Customs were isolated on the second level, making it convenient to spot arrivals after they cleared those formalities and descended the escalator. A short-framed, blue-eyed brunette with a red backpack casually slung over a shoulder stood tall as she glided a graceful descent into a new world. Chris had arrived in Asia.

We rode a taxi to the Malaysia for 160 Baht; not much faster than the train but a more reposed entrance into Bangkok. After Chris got settled-in, we all enjoyed a few Singha beers in the hotel bar-restaurant. Jim and Horace left for Ko Samui.

Bangkok