Bangui to Paris

Paris Travel Blog

Sep 7-8, 2015
Flight: Bangui, Central African Republic (BGF) to Douala, Cameroon (DLA); ASKY 737 Economy
Hotel: Ibis Douala; Day Rate; 40000 XAF
Flight: Douala, Cameroon (DLA) to Paris, France (CDG); Air France 777 Economy
Flight: Paris, France (CDG) to Atlanta, GA (ATL); Delta A330 Economy
Flight: Atlanta, GA (ATL) to Austin, TX (AUS); Delta 737 Economy
We caught the hotel shuttle to the airport this morning.  Checkin was easy for the Asky flight to Douala.  Some girl came up to me and showed me to the \'VIP\' lounge but wanted $20 for entry.  Even for a VIP lounge it seemed pretty grim, so I passed on the offer.

There was a 10k CFA departure tax that had to be paid separately.  The flight was on time and served a croissant+roll with fruit.

On arrival in Douala, said goodbye to Jason and Ian, they were continuing on the same plane to Lome.  I had a ~13hr layover in Douala before my flight to Paris this evening.   I decided to go back to the Ibis to see if they had a day rate, or at least could watch my bag for awhile.  They had a decent offer of 40k until 8PM which worked fine for me.  I walked over to the post office to mail miss hauteboy\'s postcard, but otherwise didn\'t get up to much all day.  Caught the hotel shuttle to the airport that evening.  Checkin and security were easy and I was able to use my Alitalia Gold card (status match) to get access to the lounge this time.

The flight to Paris was fine and I watched a couple of movies.  I had a long ~10hr layover before my next flight so dropped my bags at left luggage and headed into town on the RER.  Got off at Île de la Cité.  I had been to Paris many times but hadn\'t actually ever gone into Notre Dame (that I could remember at least).  I crossed over to the Left Bank on the Pont de l\'Archeveche, which like many bridges in Paris these days was straining under the weight of thousands of \'love locks\'.  What an ugly fad.

I spent the next few hours wandering along the Left Bank, crossing over to the Louvre and back via Musee de Orsay (huge lines) and continuing on towards the Eiffel Tower.  Grabbed a baguette for lunch and had \'le pique-nique\' nearby the tower.  The main field in front of the tower was blocked off.  I\'d been up the tower a few times previously so didn\'t bother this time around.  I\'d just missed the last RER train so had a 30 minute wait before the next train arrived.  Transferred over to the airport train at Saint-Michel, back at the airport with plenty of time to grab my bag and go to the lounge for a bit.  I was a bit grimy by this point but the lounge in the L-gates unfortunately didn\'t have a shower.

The flight back to Austin via Atlanta was fine.  No showers in the T-lounge in Atlanta either so I was quite grungy by the time I finally got home.

4,889 km (3,038 miles) traveled