walking around the capital of the German Fairy Tale Route and a World Heritage Site

Kassel Travel Blog

Willemshöhe Palace

Amazingly enough I slept like a baby and since we didn’t had too much planned today, the three of us just relaxed for a while and slept in. A nice hot shower later, we were ready for some brekkie and although the weather outside didn’t predict too much fun, we still managed to walk up to our car and drove onwards to our main goal of today, the mountain park of Willemshöhe, which was located at the other side of the city, about 8 kilometers away.

My initial goal was to walk up to the park on foot, but I guess this was just a bit too much for my parents and seeing the distance myself with the dark and gloomy weather outside, I guess that in the end, we made the right decision.

As soon as we parked our car, we had a fierce walk through the park uphill, till we reached the beautiful Willemshöhe Palace, a neoclassical piece of architecture, build in the late 18th century for the Hessian Landgrave Wilhelm, who in his turn used this place extensively as a summer residence and a personal retreat.

backyard of the palace

You can’t blame the guy of course, because from the moment you step into his backyard, you’ll find the mean reason why thousands and thousands of tourists visit this city every year.

Willemshöhe mountainpark is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site for a reason of course. The area of the park is 2.4 square kilometers and this number alone makes sure it is the largest European hillside park. The landscape garden is amazing to look at, even in the rain and although we were out of luck because they were renovating the place, you still had an idea how things would look like if you closed your eyes and imagined that big gigantic cascade with the statue of Hercules on top, taking all that water downstairs through loads of smaller cascades, streams and aqueducts … quite an impressive picture and although I was a bit disappoint at first, I soon got over it as we started walking up hill.

impressive tree

I must admit that I had rather seen all the smaller cascades as well as the big one, but the walk up hill in the rain was already rewarding enough for me and when I saw that statue of Hercules I was glad that I made it … maybe I wasn’t too much out of shape like I first expected or otherwise the German air had something to do with that!

On our way back down hill we crossed a few roads and visited the Löwenburg castle, which to me is one of the most beautiful castles I had seen on this trip. I might add, that till this far I saw most of the time nothing else but ruins, but still … Löwenburg castle is also said to be a ruin, although to me it looked quite okay and fits right in the idea of a beautiful fairy tale castle.

It was already way in the afternoon when we arrived back at Willemshöhe Palace and from all that walking, we all got a bit hungry.

nice flower
It was kind of sad that the restaurant of the palace was closed for business, because I would have loved to have had a look inside, but instead we walked a bit down hill again and found a nice place instead, the “Schloss Café” which had some typical German dishes on their menu … how can anyone do wrong with a bit of sausage!

With our bellies full, we walked down the hill again and since the weather cleared up a bit, we drove back to the hotel to park our car and after changing our wet clothes for some drier ones, we were ready again for an afternoon of exploring the city.

The first interesting building we saw was the Orange Palace, which was located in the smaller Karlsaue State Park and although it doesn’t have a big name for itself like the palace does at the Willemshöhe Mountainpark, I found this one with its bright color even more beautiful.
lake with temple

As we were walking through the park, we accidentally arrived at a place which literally means “beautiful view” and I must say that this lane with plants on one sight and modern buildings on the other was just that! In German language it is written “Schöne Aussicht” and this was more than true because you had a nice view on the surrounding area, even the highway!

We also found out that there was a Brothers Grimm museum in the vicinity and since I was out of luck visiting the one in Steinau An Der Strasse, this was as good enough excuse for me to visit this one, but as soon as we entered the building, we found out that everything was under construction.
aqueduct
I don’t know what it is with museums and so on here on this Fairy Tale Route, but it seems that I keep on getting out of luck with these things, so instead of moping about it, we just did the next best thing … shopping!!!

I have to admit that we didn’t did too much of a good job, since after spending a couple of hours in the main street, we only had a handful of goodies, but still … it made for one hell of a good afternoon and early evening … that is, for two of us anyway coz my dad spend more time outside on a bench than anything else.

To make up for it, I treated all three of us with a nice dinner at the most beautiful named street “Schöne Aussicht”. I had seen a Mexican restaurant which also served some other more German like dishes, so this suited all three of us and after not too much of a discussion, we went for it and I must admit that I made one very good choice coz the food was yummy, the drinks were great and as soon as the sun started to disappear, it was time for the three of us to head back to our hotel.
devil's bridge

Once we got back to our room, I did a bit of reading and updated a bit of my blog and although it was still not much later dan 10 PM, I decided I had enough fun for one day and went to bed. My parents however decided to have one more nightcap downstairs and believe it or not, I didn’t even hear them entering the room again, I must have been completely knackered after all that walking and shopping!

Ils1976 says:
thanks Walter!
Posted on: Dec 29, 2015
walterman9999 says:
good blog
Posted on: Dec 23, 2015
Ils1976 says:
I guess the rainy weather had something to do with that, but yes ... it was quite an interesting walk!
Posted on: Nov 15, 2015
Orange Palace
close up on the statues
close up on the statues
view from  Schöne Aussicht
view from " Schöne Aussicht"
Brothers Grimm museum
Brothers Grimm museum
under contruction!
under contruction!
the brothers have left the building
the brothers have left the building
only an empty chair remains!
only an empty chair remains!
Kassel