First trip to Bordeaux

Bordeaux Travel Blog

Place de la Bourse

Together with my good friend Ilse, who I already know since I was 12, I went to Bordeaux for a week. To have some holiday, but also to explore the city before I move there.

Bordeaux doesn't seem to have a good reputation in Holland, but it is actually a really nice city! The centre is really old with lots of ancient buildings, churches, and of course wine houses. Of course Bordeaux has good and bad parts (close to the station is one of the worse neighbourhoods), but overall the centre seems very nice. It is a combination of some majestic squares with impressive buildings and statues, and little squares where you can enjoy a coffee or a glass of wine. I prefer the little streets with the cafés and bars, but the grand (historic) buildings which you can find in the bigger cities of france also have it charm! Like Place de la Victoire, where my university is located.

On the same square is a smaller version of the 'arc de triomph' and an obelisk!

Ilse and I also went Saint-Emillion, which is a very touristic, but nice and old wine castle.. it was really nice to be out of the city a bit, and we absolutely enjoyed the wineyards, and of course the wine and cheese tasting! french people seem to spend lots of time on having lunch, and you should join them.. it's a really nice experience!

we also spent a few days in Lacanau, a beach/surfing town on the coast with half of france being there in the summer. it's good to be there though. was really sunny, and it's a nice place if you enjoy camping. the campings there are pretty expensive (17 euro's a person in high season), but do deliver all you need. we spent 2 days just on the camping (Talaris) enjoying ourselves playing volleyball, swimming, and just hanging out!

I would say go explore the south of france in the summer. it is a different feeling than somewhere elsewhere..

Natasha and Ilse