Second Update

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

Wow, this past week has just flown by. Last Monday (June 5) our group went to the Baltika Beer Brewery. At the end of the tour, we got to taste all of their beers. I didn't like any of them, but that's not suprising seeing as how I'm not really a beer person. lol. Tuesday, June 6, marked our first day of classes. As most of you know, I am taking a Russian Literature course. My teacher's name is Tatiana and she's great, but I'm not gonna get to much into that as most of you could probably care less about how Russian lit is going (of course,I will be sharing my insight into Russian lit. with my professors this upcoming semester!!!)
        On Wednesday, our class took a field trip to the Russian National Library. It was probably the highlight of my trip thus far, after the Romanov tomb, of course. We got to go into the archives and see books dating back to the 12th century! We also got to see Voltaire's entire library collection. Evidently, Catherine II and Voltaire were good friends and when he died, she bought his entire library. Then on Friday, after our Russian culture class, we went to the Hermitage Museum. It was very nice going there. There was a Picasso exhibit and a Monet exhibit while we were there; not to mention the permanent collection which I've been told would take 3 life times to see everything!
        On Saturday, we had a free day and I just roamed around downtown St. Petersburg with two other students. Then Sunday (June 11 for those of you who are chronologically challenged) we went by Hydrofoil to Peterhof, the summer home of the Tsars. A hydrofoil is this really fast long boat (you should Google it.) When we arrived in Peterhof, it was definately a great sight. I enjoyed the tour of the Grand Palace, but it was really the gardens I wanted to see. I got to see all of the amazing fountains, including my favorite, the Checkerboard Cascade. We were there practically all day long: it was amazing.
        Then yesterday, Monday, my friend Ellen and I went on our own tour of St. Petersburg attractions. We began our day at 10 am by going to the Kazan Cathedral. You cannot take pictures inside because it is a working cathedral. We did, however, get to witness a Russian Orthodox mass and see amazing paintings of the various icons. Then we went to the Church of the Saviour of Spilled Blood. The entire inside is done is mosaics: not one spot is blank. Then we continued our tour into the Mikhailovsky gardens and ate lunch here and went on to the Mars Field. In the Mars Field is the Eternal Flame which comemorates those lost in wars. Then we went to the summer palace of Peter I inside the Summer Gardens. And then I came back to the dorms and went to sleep.