Day 3 headed for Lhasa Tibey China

Rongbuk Monastery Tibet China Travel Blog

DAY 3

With the Acute Mountain Sickness I felt like hell.  Fortunately all I had was the severe headaches.  But in a Landcruiser that is behaving like a roller coaster, the head ache was poor timing. From Tingri to Rongbuk Monastery, our next stop over and the best view of Mt Everest

It took us some 8-9 hours of driving along river beds, through massive valleys, along the same dirt roads that looked like they could give way at anytime, passing Yaks and their herders, some idiots trekking in what can only be described as some of the most inhospitable land in the world surely, and of course some locals also herding goats and sheep.  The villages were all painted in white with the same red and blue stripes lining the walls of buildings.  And everyone was doing something, either digging up the road or tending to the fields on their ploughs and yaks.

What a time warp!!!

We got to Rongbuk Monastery at about 3.30pm.  We then traveled a further 8 klms to Mt Everest Base Camp at 5200m altitude, the highest I had ever been.  Mt Everest was nothing short of spectacular, and after having seen it I have nothing but respect for those who climb the mountain.  I can honestly say I never ever will.  There is not much at base camp apart from about 10 tent like shelters which are a permanent fixture, as well as the impermanent number of tents of persons who are acclimatizing to the conditions prior to their assault on the mountain.  And it is an assault!!

We got back from the Base Camp to the monastery and Paul and I had continually worsening AMS so we thought we would lie down.  One of the others in our group checked on us and decided that we needed to be taken to a lower altitude to recover from the AMS.   By this time Paul was managing to throw up everywhere.  Me - well, my stomach was in knots and the Mack Truck just kept constantly running over my head every 5 seconds or so.

On our way for a closer look at Mt Everest Tibet

So just to make the day a little longer, and thanks to the rest of the group who convinced the guide we had to go, we left Rongbuk at about 8pm, an hour before dark.

It only took 20mins of descending before I felt 100% better, thankfully. We continued to drive with the aid of a full moon, through another Pass that exceeded 5000m, eventually stopping at about 2am at some town that had a hospital, if we needed it.

Everest in the background
On our way for a closer look at Mt…
On our way for a closer look at M…
Gyatsola Pass 5220 meters Tibet