Touring Va Tech

Blacksburg Travel Blog

Going to play frisbee golf.
    Don had classes on Wednesday from 10 - 3, so dad and I were on our own for a bit.  No problem, we slept in, showered, lounged around, etc.  Dad bought some food for the guys there.  And I cleaned the kitchen and the table.  It wasn't too disgusting!  I remember my days at UConn when I would go to a party and clean the kitchen.  I loved to do it.  I enjoyed this.  Dad and I caught a 1:15 tour of the campus.  I didn't really need to fill out one of those prospective students cards, but I did anyway.  I guess I will fill out a survey in a few weeks.  So it was interesting walking around the campus and seeing the buildings and rooms.  I really enjoy looking at different colleges.  Especially when there's no pressure to apply and get into college!  Our tour guide, Ambir, only referred to April 16 once as "the incident" when she was explaining how to get in and out of the dorms.
Eaaaggglllleee.
  It used to be that the dorms were locked between 10pm and like, 7am, but now the dorms are going to be locked 24 hours.  So you need your card to swipe you in.  That was the only time she mentioned it, and the only time parents talked about it too.  After the tour dad and I stayed for the info session, because it was indoors and cooler.  It was dreadfully hot out.  Alvin was the one who spoke about admissions and campus life.  Again, we didn't need that, but it was something to do before Don got out of classes.
    When Don did get out, we met him at the campus bookstore.  We were looking around for the magnets about remembering VT that you put on your car.  They had plenty of decals but were out of the magnets.  Don hadn't eaten all day so we went to the main street where there are a bunch of restaurants.  I'm not sure if it's called Main Street.  We ate at a Greek place called Souvlaki.  It was very very good.  Don and I got Italian subs (go figure) and dad got a gyro.  We also got an appetizer that I can't remember how to pronounce or spell.  But I think you should go there.  Dad said when they come back in September for the football game he would definitely take people back there.  They had lots of beers there as well.  I didn't drink this time, but I was eyeing a few particular ones in the fridge.  We sat there for a while eating, reading, doing stats homework (Don), then dad got the car and we headed back to Don's apartment.
    Ahh, time for frisbee golf.  At the apartment we got Will and Will drove us to the frisbee golf course in Christiansburg.  I had never played frisbee golf.  Ultimate frisbee, yes, but not golf.  It was hard and I wasn't very good.  I wasn't horrible tho. I'd play again.  Do you know what it is?  You have to throw these disks that look like frisbees, but are a little smaller, and get it into a basket.  But the baskets aren't close.  Kind of like golf.  Since we went at 7, the sun was going down.  So we only played 9 holes which left us deep in the woods.  We had to take a "short cut" back to the parking lot.  It took us a while and we wound up at some other part of the park.  But eventually we made it back to Will's car with all our frisbees.  It was still really hot out.  When we got home we all changed and relaxed for a bit.  I watched Last Comic Standing and am happy to say that Matt Kirshen stayed and Debra DiGiovanni left.  At around 10:10 we decided we should get something to eat so we went to some buffalo wings place that Don likes.  It's a sports bar, which I love.  And we sat close to the bar and got to watch the Angels / Red Sox game.  We ate lots of wings with all different sauces.  And I quoted Mitch Hedberg a bunch. It was great!  And we got a to go box for Will because he didn't come with us.  Then we drove home and were going inside when we realized we left the to go box at the restaurant.  Don says about 70% of the time he leaves his food at the restaurant. We called, asked if it was still there, then went back for it.  We were listening to Muse in the car, of course.   Then back home and back to sleep.  I popped in another disk of Scrubs and fell asleep.
Blacksburg Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A wonderful, inexpensive, small Greek restaurant where kids and parents both enjoy. There are many selections of beer.