Qutb Minar monument complex

New Delhi Travel Blog

The tower at Qotb Minar
Qutb Minar has the tallest stone tower in India, it was made in the 12th century by the first Mulsim dynasty in India to mark its victory over the Indian kingdom at the time. Here is another example where major Indian cultrual heritage is really Isalmic (Taj Mahal is another). Later kings in the dynasty built other monuments here and added to the tower, so the tower has different styles at different levels, but they do integrate nicely.

When we were there, busloads of students of grade school and high school age showed up at the complex. Pretty soon, they were everywhere. It was hard to get a quiet picture around here. I lagged behind my group and was changing film in my camera when I was approached by several high school gilrs. They wanted to have a picture taken with me. I asked why, and they said "Because you are a foreigner".
A carved column at Qotb Minar
I noticed one of the girls had green eyes and asked them why her eyes were green. They did not seem surprised that some Indian have green eyes. It was obvious that there were many peoples in India from elsewhere, and they have intermarried and are now all Indian. I let them take a picture of me with several girls, and they were off chatting excitedly.

We spent a couple of hours wandering around the ruins and admiring the carvings on the arches and columns. At the exit, I took a photo of a stray dog. It was how most dogs looked like in India, obvious muts with more function than frills.

We made a stop at the biggest Sikh Temple in Delhi, where there was a holy water pond. There were big koi fish in there! In order to walk through the temple, men and women had to have their head covered, and remove their shoes (socks not allowed!).
A typical Indian street dog at Qotb Minar. It wasn't until we were at Lodhi Garden when we saw some purebred dogs being walked.
They loaned some scarfs to people who did not have any head coverings with them. On existing the temple, there was a man giving out spoonfuls of some vegetable mixture, and we were supposed to hold out our hands to receive it. It is to mean that one does not go away hungry from the temple. Whatever it was, it was not too bad, I took small bites and finished mine.

Lunch was again at the Lotus Garden, now at a different location, so it was a chain restaurant. Considering the chef was not Chinese, the food was not bad at all. At least we got to have some pork here.

In the afternoon, we stopped at the Saga Department store to look at silk carpets from Kashmir and also pashminas. They were definitely not cheap, but less expensive than back in the US.

We hit some major traffic jam on the way back to the hotel. A major street was closed, and traffic had to be rerouted, plus it was rush hour on a Friday. It took more than an hour, I don't know how far we travelled, but we never left Delhi today.
A carved column at Qotb Minar
A typical Indian street dog at Qot…
A typical Indian street dog at Qo…
Holy water at the Sikh Temple