Day 4- La Brea Tar Pits and LACMA

Los Angeles Travel Blog

La Brea tar pits
So today I ventured out early trying LA bus routes.  They worked fine it just took a long time to make it to my final destination, Wilshire Blvd.  I suggest taking the Metro if you are close to one... the busses take way longer and aren't as comfortable.  You can also avoid sketchy bus stops.

So after 2 hours of travel by bus and waiting for the next bus I made it to Wilshire Blvd which is also known as the Miracle Mile/Museum Row since there are 5 museums within a few blocks.

My first stop were the La Brea Tar Pits.  Much to my surprise and delight, it was a free Tuesday.  The Tar Pits formed during the Ice Age and preserved many bones of prehistoric animals including: harlans ground sloth, American tiger, Sabre Tooth Cat, extict horses and wolves, etc.
La Brea Tar Pit being excavated

There is a small museum set up showcasing different animals bones that were found in the tar pits.  It also includes information they have gained from these findings.  It was pretty interesting however quite small.  It only took me about 1 hour to walk through the museum.  Then they have grounds of old pits you can look at and a pit that is still being excavated.  I passed by one pit that was excavated earlier and it just looks like a lake but of tar and it smells like it too.  The one currently being excavated you can look in through glass windows above and see flags marking bones that are partially uncovered.  It was worth seeing but not an entire day.

So since it took less than half as much time as I expected, I walked next door to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
LACMA
  It was only $5.00 with my student ID.  Every second tuesday of the month is free and everyday after 5pm is free (they are open til 8pm).
This museum was good to pass time but after seeing the Vatican Museum, the Louvre, D'orssay, and many others throughout Europe it wasn't that great.  They have a nice collection of Asian art.  While visiting there was a unquie exhibit by Dan Flavin, A retrospective.  He works with mass-produced, commercially availible fluorescent lights in different lenghts, circles, and a few basic colors.  According to the pamphlet he produced an oeuvre of extrondianry range and depth.  I am not one personally for modern art however, the lights kind of drew you in and you had to look/stare at them.
High Voltage Tattoo- owned by Kat Von D
  I doubt I was envisioning what the artist intended however they definently got my attention.  They had a new exhibit of latin american art which was nice but my feet were killing me by that point so I just skimmed.

I relaxed at a table for a while and waited for my friend to pick me up.  We then drove to High Voltage Tattoo shop, recently opened by LA native Kat Von D.  She has been on the TLC program, Miami Ink, and stars in the new series LA ink.  They were filming when we got there so we could only look through the windows discretely.  It looked awesome inside with hot pink walls and cool pictures all over the walls.  We couldn't make out Kat Von D but we saw the guy tattoo artist on the show tattooing some other guy.  It was neat to see since the primere was that night.

LACMA
High Voltage Tattoo- owned by Kat …
High Voltage Tattoo- owned by Kat…
La Brea Tar Pit