Day 3- Grand Tour of LA

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Marina Del Rey
Since my friend works during the week, I was able to take the days to site-see.  I called the day before and signed up for a Bus tour that made multiple stops at popular, "must see", locations in the LA area.

I went with ABC tours, however there are many companies who do similar tours.

They convienently pick you up from the hotel you are staying at, I just walked to a local hotel and said I was staying there.  Our first stop was Marina del rey where we got sorted onto the proper buses depending on what tour you were taking.  The drivers seemed a bit disorganized in the beginning which worried me.

Once we got going though our driver talked about many sites we passed and the area in general.  Although, I believe some of the information we were told wasn't true, since our guide said ask anything and if I don't know the answer I'll lie.
Venice Beach
  He mentioned at one point that California was the biggest state.  I think he ment to or should have said its the highest populated state.

Our first stop were the canals in near Venice Beach.  They were supposed to look like the canals in Venice, Italy.  However, I wouldn't be fooled by this imitation, it didn't really look anything like the canals in Italy.

Next we stopped by Venice Beach for 30 minutes.  It is the hippie beach area with lots of small tents set up with people selling different things from their own artwork, shoes, sunglasses, henna tattoos, etc.  I found a photographer selling panoramic photos of sunsets at Venice Beach and purchased one to add to my collection for $20.00.

Next stop was Santa Monica Beach.  We were given 15 minutes to take pictures and look around.
Me with Santa Monica Beach view.
  It wasn't enough time to walk down to the water but the view was nice.

Next we drove through Century City on our way to Beverly Hills.  As we drove the tour guide pointed out celebrities homes which was neat to see.  Although the half of the pictures I took, I forget whose house it was.  We stopped at Rodeo Drive to walk around for 30 minutes.  I was to scared to actually go into any of the stores and was hoping to see some kind of star but I didn't recognize anyone.  I did do some window shopping and saw some of the most beautiful jewelry I've ever seen.  It was neat to see and walk around.
Rodeo Drive

We then headed to Hollywood Blvd, where we had an hour to walk around.  I grabbed a quick lunch and just strolled the starts looking around.  The area wasn't as nice as I thought it would be.  The Chinese theather was beautiful.

Our last stop was going up to the resturant, Yamashiro, which had a great view of the Hollywood sign and is the place where Memoirs of Geisha was filmed.  The exterior was beautiful and the menu expensive.  Some day I would like to eat there.

Then the tour ended by taking everyone back to their hotels, they split the group into two separate busses in order to drop everyone off more quickly.

*** Side note, My friend did the same tour with the same company but didn't make all the same smaller stops for example: she went to a different stop to view the Hollywood sign, and drove past different star homes.

I met up with my friend after work and we made dinner and went to a local bar for trivia night.
Santa Monica Beach view.
Hollywood sign, obviously.
Hollywood sign, obviously.
Venice California Canal
Venice California Canal
Muscle Beach aka Venice Beach.
Muscle Beach aka Venice Beach.