Zoo In Our Backyard

Montalban Travel Blog

The gentle turtle

The title is an exaggeration though. The zoo is on the next town. :)

I never thought that there's an impressive zoo in the Philippines. After hearing bad comments about Manila Zoo, I never had any interest to any zoos in the Philippines. Until I discovered Avilon Zoo in Montalban, Rizal.

I lived for more than 5 years nearby this town but I never heard about this when I was still in the Philippines. Ironically, I discovered this place when I was already away from home. Just as I discovered about Apo Reef and Mt. Iglit Reservior when I already left Mindoro. I guess I need to be educated some more.

This zoo is smaller than Singapore zoo (the first zoo that really made impact on me) in size, but it is just as impressive as the one here. Okay, there's still no big animals yet such as bears, elephants but the zoo is designed for someone to get to be intimate with the animals (only those that are gentle and don't harm people).

I touched the Galapagos Turtle for one. And yes, there was some on-going construction when I was there, and they are for the big animals. I guess, better things are about to happen in this place. Anyway, there's some ethical questions about zoos that I am not really keen to be too critical.

I have known some people that don't want to see animals in captivity and be used as entertainment. However, some also think that there are some animals that are just too lucky to be in captivity rather than perish in oblivion because of the destruction of their natural habitat. O well, if only we live in an ideal world, we don't need zoos to see animals alive and well fed by nature.

For more details and more photos, please visit their home page: http://www.avilonzoo.com.ph/

baliw-katok says:
Congratz on ur feature ... great blog, nice pictures.
Posted on: Feb 16, 2016
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Feb 15, 2016
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured blog!
Posted on: Feb 15, 2016
The gentle turtle
Falconette, smallest bird of prey.…
Falconette, smallest bird of prey…
Montalban