This annual 'visit France' ritual of mine - where to this year?

Strasbourg Travel Blog

This would be my biking route. Start clockwise from Strasbourg

It wasn't until recently that a friend of mine pointed out how much I love visiting the UK, and how I *have* to visit the UK every year that it struck me - France is kind of falling into the same category as well. For years, despite speaking and loving speaking French, I'd always shown a certain shyness to want to explore this country. But my 3rd visit to this country, and my first to the Burgundy region was the epipheny. It opened my eyes to the vast variety of things to do, places to see and the totally dramatic and striking landscapes. Since then, it's become more of a ritual than a wont to plan a trip to France. I do it obviously to practise my French as well. And like I had to cut the chords with London after a few trips to just get out and explore more of the UK, it's been the same blueprint in "decoupling" Paris from the rest of France.

Last year, I visited the Riviera without even stopping by or transiting in Paris. I actually did cope! So this year, after several deliberations between the Bordeaux, Marseilles and Alsace areas, well, as the title of this blog says - Alsace won. The question then was realy planning what to do as this area is choc a block with activities. Unlike the Riviera that was singularly all about richness amidst sun kissed beaches and God kissed wallets, Alsace seemed to have something for everyone. So after days of research and Tripadvisor suggestions, I settled on a biking trip. A trip that would coincide with the vendange (and we ALL know what an amazing time I had 4 years ago with it!), and a trip that would get me access to some of the hilly towns of the region that aren't connected by train. Besides which, there's always something magical about countryside France - it's peace and tranquility with small towns thrown in (and bakeries in the tiniest of towns open by 6a!) has always appealed to the rustic dreamer in me. So with basically all the magnificent ingredients for a brilliant holiday, how could the recipe go wrong?! :)

I went with Biketours.com (whom I'll highly recommend) - easy plan. I'd bike as per the itinerary and they would move my luggage from hotel to hotel. They work in conjunction with France's premiere adventure biking company L'Espaces Randonnees. I was overall VERY satisfied with the outcome and can't wait to pick another destination in France sometime soon. (Oh, only catch - BYOH - that's Bring Your Own Helmet as they don't rent them out).

Cho says:
I lived in France for 8 years, but it seems you've been to a lot more places around the country that I have!
Posted on: Oct 20, 2015
Jeroenadmiraal says:
Congratulations on your blog!
Posted on: Oct 15, 2015
gingerbatik says:
congrats :)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2015
This would be my biking route. Sta…
This would be my biking route. St…
Strasbourg