Summer by the Tautonic Knight's Castle in Malbork

Malbork Travel Blog

18th - 22nd July 2007 - The Siege of Malbork

Last time I saw The Seige of Malbork was 6 years ago. It lasted 3 days over the weekend and was a great fun for locals mostly. I was amazed to see what this one grew to become.

It is now described as a meeting with knights, craftsmen and traders from around the world. And it trully is. Fair of medieval craft, workshops in ceramic village, plebeian folk games, knight competitions, dragon boats races, fireshows, an outdoor cinema, exhibitions and lectures were an everyday charge-free entertainment.
The most important part of the Siege began on 4th day with the march of Teutonic and Polish armies towards the castle, where the ceremonial beginning of the event took place.
The ceremony has been followed by cavalry shows and tournaments of infantry and archery and cross-bow tournaments. Finally, when the sun started to set the night staging of The Siege of the Malbork Castle began. The staging is actually a battle, the screenplay of which was based on an authentic medieval event which took place in the year 1410, one week after the famous Grunwald battle.

It's such a shame I could't take many pictures... I will post a link to the official photo gallery though (as soon as it will be available).

The culmination of the evening wa an amazing fireworks show that danced against the background of Malbork Castle.

That was the last time my camera was working.... I'm glad I could see all of the Siege with my camera in my hand, but not having it afterwards for nearly a month was a hugde pain. Thankfully at events there's always some pro photographer and gallery at event's website :)
Kalium_zer0 says:
Amazing photographs!
Posted on: Aug 28, 2007
Sietsedubois says:
Oooh I've missed so much!
Posted on: Aug 27, 2007
The night staging of The Siege of the Malbork Castle
I've been recently rediscovering the places I come from. A lot has changed since I've started to travel away. That was actually one of the reasons why I've stayed in my home town this summer. I haven't been here in a summer time for nearly 6 years and as I've mentioned - A LOT has chainged.

8th - 9th June 2007 - The 5th International Medieval Festival in Malbork.

This edition of Medieval Festival has been very special and one of the kind. 550 years ago the Tautonic Knights' Castle in Malbork has been taken over by polish King Kazimierz Jagiellończyk. The castle has never been conquered in it's history. 550 years ago it has been taken over for Tautonic Knights' debts towards Polish Kingdom.

The celebration has started tradicionally with the parade led by the King & Queen, which has ended at the Castle's grounds with very symbolic moment when two great people have passed eachother in the main gate - King Kazimierz Jagiellończyk and The Great Master of the Tautonic Knight's Order.

There were many surrounding events durig the festival, like medieval village, medieval market place, choir concerts, exhibitions etc.

The Festival grows bigger and bigger every year and even though I think it was not advertised nor prepared just enough I must admit that I was impressed with how it looked and how many people took part in it. I hope to see it even better next year :)
The King Kazimierz Jagiellończyk
The night staging of The Siege of …
The night staging of The Siege of…
Minutes before arrival of the King