la dolce vita

Rome Travel Blog

I was warned. I knew that it would be over 30 degrees in Rome in August. But I, being used to the Dutch climate, could never have guessed how warm that is! Consequently, I didn't see as much of rome as I hoped to, because I  had to sit in the shadow every now and then and drink a litre of water. And of course, Leon didn't feel like that at all...

However, we did see a lot after all. It turned out that you can visit museums for free if you study History of Art! So Leon and I split only one ticket and had a much bigger budget because of that. We visited the Borghese Gallery on our first day and saw Caravaggio's and Bernini's work. Sometimes I wonder how on earth one person could create such magic. How you can be touched by some oil paint or some marble. How genius can express itself in these materials... amazing!  Also, the musea in Rome are very nice, they give enough space to all pieces. I was in Palazzo Altemps and sometimes came in a room with only one or two statues. It was refreshing and makes it easier to admire all pieces individually. Which we gradually did.

We learned that Italian cappuccino's are the best in the world (which I of course already suspected), that pizza for lunch is a very nice idea and that crossing a street in Rome can feel like suicide, but that it actually works!

Everyday we came home exhausted. Luckily we rented our own apartment, so some quiet and no queing for the showers (I'm used to hostels). Leon would cook us a nice meal (usually pasta or pizza, but also one night a super-dutch meal: potatoes, fish sticks and peas), we'd play Yahtzee (which simply is the best game in the world!!!!!) or read some (I brought Norwegian Wood, by Murakami with me, very nice, Leon finished the last Harry Potter).

It was the first time Leon and I went on vacation together and it was a big succes. Now being back in Holland, I actually even miss the heat.