Gay pride canal boat show!

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Every first saturday of the year in Amsterdam, my home city, a big procession of boats with Gay people (and sympathising 'straight' people) is navigating in the Amsterdam Canals. Maybe 100 boats with especially for this event designed themes on board (and behind that another 100 boats with sympathising and celebrating peopde).

For centuries Amsterdam is internationally known for its tolerance (in relation with respect!). Jews, Muslim people, christians, buddhists, black&white people, straight or gay and so on are living here respectfull together in peace and with tolerance for eachothers expressions. So for me (i am not gay but straight) the gay-pride boat tour is also a symbol of this tolerance and i like it! Espessially when temperature is good (30 degrees celcius), people are having a lot of fun together, with pleasant drinks an music. I could spectate this canal show on a house boat of my neighbours and took some pictures!

I hope (because that is not my intention) i do not offend anyone in international context... what you see here is a little peace of Dutch tolerance and .. the Dutch ability to find another reason to party together in the open air! (also like queensday [yearly 30th of april] or newyear [1st of jan]). Enjoy (and maybe plan to visit Amsterdam next year first weekend of august!) or ... ignore ;-))

strategos says:
i love Amsterdam cause its a beautiful 'open-minded' city!
Posted on: Oct 29, 2007
Sunflower300 says:
Fantastic Bas,
I would love to see this one year. What a fun day.
Posted on: Sep 07, 2007