Driving In

Yellowstone National Park Travel Blog

Gibbon Falls

After breakfast at the hotel, we loaded the car back up and started off again, Megan at the wheel.  We stopped in West Yellowstone at the town's Visitor Center to use the restroom, and then it was my first turn to drive.  I was a little nervous about driving in a national park where bison freely wandered into the road and mountain drives did not always have guardrails but hearing my dad talk about the view soon pushed my concern into the background.

Our sight-seeing started at Gibbon Falls.  I noticed quickly that the water was flowing more fully than the last time we were at this site.  We would hear several times throughout the trip that there had been a greater than normal snowfall that past winter thus equalling a greater waterflow now.

old purple car
  We followed the sidewalk from the parking lot along the river, past the brink, and down to the viewing point.  It felt great to be walking in my beloved Yellowstone again :)

We stopped by Beryl Spring and drove along the road that passed by the Virginia Cascades.  These waterfalls were harder to get a good view than Gibbon, so we did not stop for long.

We ate our lunch at a grille in Canyon which was not far from Norris, the area that we toured in the midday.  (Lunch was a hamburger, much better than dinner's BLT wrap in the cafeteria)  Norris still reminds me of an alien landscape. We saw a lot of fumaroles and hot springs here; the geysers are not as active here.  Some boardwalk near Steamboat Geyser was being re-routed.

In the evening we went on our Yellow Bus tour.  Trevor drove our full bus out to Lamar Valley in search of wildlife.  He was a very energetic guide even if we did see fewer animals than he had hoped.  The count: a very far off grizzly (just visible in the scope), a black bear (also hard to see), pronghorn antelope, sandhill crane, a herd of over 100 bison, mule deer, and the spotting that made Trevor's night--a badger that ran across the road in front of us.

After a busy first day in the park, we settled into our hotel room at the lodge in Canyon.

old purple car
the beginning of the thermal featu…
the beginning of the thermal feat…
Yellow Bus at Canyon