Our annual trip to the Canadian Rockies begins!

Sicamous Travel Blog

Our Super 8 motel. For us, the nice thing about Canada is that there's always a Tim Horton's on the highway for our daily fix(es) of hot chocolate!

It was more or less a year ago that we visited Banff and Jasper National Parks for the first time in our lives, and that was a trip to be remembered. And this, from someone who lives in the majestic Pacific NW and sees mountains, coniferous trees and lakes on a daily basis and yet, I was spellbound at about every turn, every stop and every switchback in that one week we spent in the Rockies.

But the biggest draw to come back was a chance encounter with a British nurse at the Jasper hostel. She was gearing up to go "on this glacier hike" the next day. I asked her to email me the link, and both Sandhya and I pounced on the idea of doing the glacier hike like a bear on fresh salmon! The said hike was the Wapta Glacier Hike, and the tour was by Yamnushka Tours who specialise in mountaineering and backcountry hiking. Reviewing the details on the website, it sure costs a bomb but looked totally worth it. So naturally, we spoke about it, made sure our finances were in shape and went ahead with the first booking of the year.

So here we are a good 12 months later. As this tour starts in Canmore, it made sense to base ourselves there for the tour. And then, to fill up the rest of the week (although one doesn't need to "fill up" time here - it's a hiker's paradise and one's spoilt for choice) with day hikes. We also had long wanted to visit Calgary which we pencilled in.

So all set - and with brand new spanking multi-day packs, we set off on our journey. As we both had to work on Friday, we split the journey up into 2 parts - the first part would be upto Sicamous on Thursday night where we'd halt at a Super8 Motel, and then onwards to Canmore early Friday morning. This was my first proper vacation in 2015 so honestly, I couldn't wait to get this thing kicked off!

KeikoCreative says:
Congrats on your featured! :)
Posted on: Sep 15, 2015
Jeroenadmiraal says:
COngratulations on your featured blog!!!
Posted on: Sep 15, 2015
Vikram says:
You'll love it, this is our 2nd time there!
Posted on: Aug 11, 2015
Our Super 8 motel. For us, the nic…
Our Super 8 motel. For us, the ni…
Sicamous