'pura vida'

Costa Rica Travel Blog

manual antonio
i headed into Costa Rica by myself, skipped quickly through the dodgy San Jose and headed for the Pacific Coast and Manual Antonio for some animals!!! Manual Antonio is beautiful, where the jungle meets the white sand beaches, with rock islands just off the coast for some magnificent sunsets. Too many Americans and too busy for my liking, but magnificent nonetheless. I am here for some rest, relaxation and reflection, and the animals. But never so good at the alone time, and within an hour of sitting on the beach, RRR, i looked over and saw 2 guys having too much fun in their river canoes. So with a sweet smile, a 'como estan' (unnecessary since they are american - rob and tim) and a 'that looks fun' i was soon surfing the waves in the unstable canoes.
so fun!
Was a lot of fun and i only got dumped twice, where i tried desperately to keep my head above water whilst rob ran thru the surf to save me. lol.
Then up to the Avion Bar which is awesome - one of the best looking bars i have been to. It is the dismantled and reconstructed WW2 plane up on the hill overlooking the bay. With a bar in the cabin and the cockpit still intact. For some beers and some local shots. mmmm. and a stunning sunset over the coast.
The following day is all about the animals. Rob and i head through the rain and take a boat across the lagoon to the entrance of the park. Beating most tourists afraid of the rain so we have the busy busy park to ourselves. We wander along the coast and as the sun comes out so do the white faced monkeys, who play around us and show of the little dexterous fingers and toes for about an hour, coming within arms reach, eating berries, looking for food in leaves, swinging through the vines above the ocean, and cleaning their teeth with a stick.
white faced monkey
and all for ourselves. Perfect.
we wandered on and then explored the rocks for a hidden beach, at one stage laying in a pool with little tropical fish swimming around our tummies and monkeys playing in the jungle edge about 10m away.... perfect. we layed at a little beach, sheltered by a little island, away from everyone and everything. laying for about 10minutes before we realised that there were still sloths above our head in the trees. A mum and little baby. We watched as the baby, so slowly, reached towards his mum, and the mum, so slowly, reach back and take the baby onto her back. Eat some leaves, then, so slowly, climb higher into the canopy... so slowly - this taking about 1 hour. We saw another one on our travels and they just instilled a feeling of tranquility in us.
sloth
And their claws! Awesome animals.
The following day I explored and relaxed on the beaches with Leah (ok so not good at the reflective alone time) and encountered many more sloths, monkeys, tiny tiny bats, racoons that tried to steal our backpacks, guanate (or something but fondly referred to as the guinea dog), and a massive iguana that suntanned itself with us for 2 hours only 1m away.
I didn`t spend long in Costa Rica, definitely not long enough, but it is expensive and there are those americans i mentioned so not as backpacker friendly.

the bar in the plane