beaches and ruins

Mexico Travel Blog

isla mujeres backpackers

Mexico is a great place but i did not see that much of it - for exaple there were no donkey girl shows. I went to the Yucatana and the Chiapas.

I flew into Cancun from Mexico on a plane full of Americans waiting to have a good time. With only one other backpack off-loaded from the plane, the israelie guy and i kinda looked at each other and headed to Isla Mujeres together. Its away from the crasness of Cancun for a chilled out backpacker island only a few miles away. Here the hostel has its own beach, volleyball court, bar and restaurant. I rode a bicycle around the island with an israeli friend and managed to overtake a couple of american tourists on their golf cart, and 4 locals on the one moped (a mum, dad, baby and 5 yr old plus a big suitcase in the mums hands).

tulum beaches
swam in the perfect turquiose waters, and had a big night dancing on the sand in the beach bar. They shut down a few streets for the restaurants and bars to spill out which makes foir a great night out. its a fun place but getting a bit too touristy - swim with the dolphins kinda idea.

Then from Isla to Tulum. Tulum is a place you can get stuck and i was warned about this from the very beginning, with an english guy there who had meant to travel all central america and had spent all of his 3 months but a week in tulum. Its a beautiful place with cabanas on the white sandy beach, and a mayan ruin on the cliff overlooking the beach. First  night in Tulum involved drinking games - ending in playing Kings where one of the rules we made was the guys had to grab each others butt and say i love cock really loudly.

tulum ruins. deserted
greeeaaaat rule. we headed down to the beach at midnight to kick on and to wait for the sun to come up. a good idea til it rained for an hour or two and all the misquitos took shelter with us under the cabana, at least the water was still warm... and then a perfect day to follow without much to do but lay on the beach with others from the hostel.

Tulum has these cenotes nearby which are basically an underground water system that has created sinkholes and caves with perfectly clear water. I went with a venezualen guy, carlos, and we snorkelled through the cave system. there are little fish and bats, stalagmites and stalagtites, and this would have been the first time i was cold since leaving australia a month ago. it is such an awesome place to try and explore the underground water system where there are little air pockets deep in the caves (with not much oxygen we found, people have died here) and for carlos to climb the roof above the water.

the cenote. perfectly clear cool water to snorkel and explore
boys!

Here the ruins are not that impressive as far as ruins go, but the setting is magnificent, right on the cliff over the beach. Carlos and i went over the pitiful wall after it had closed and saw our only ruin not crowded with people, just as the sun was setting. magical. then we got kicked out by an angry guard yelling at us in spanish who tried to make us delete our photos (luckily they have no idea about digital cameras). then another beach party of course.

i did manage to escape tulum and i went to chichinitza which is the 7th wonder of the world. It is a massive area of Mayan ruins with a large central pyramid. It is a shame that it was so crowded with people and you cannot climb or enter any buildings any more. You could still see carvings of the people and sacrifices there.

chichin itza

Out of the Yucatan and to Palenque which is in the Chiapas and a beautiful place. Carlos and I hooked up - awesome that my first here was with a hot latin american and in the jungle ;)   -and we stayed in a 2 story cabana up amongst the trees for a few days. mmmm

Anyway enough of that....

Palenque has an ancient ruin that just rises out of the jungle. It is amazing to see and explore, looking for hidden ruins and exploring the passages of the buildings here. It is still mayan and there are a lot less people, with jungle to walk through, you can hear spider monkeys howling and go in the river. this is more like it.

Carlos and I spent a day at Agua Azul, stunning blue waterfalls that just go for miles up the hill.

palenque
we walked to where they spill out of a chasm and swam in the river there.  ;)

After a couple of days relaxing, listening to bands at night and watching fire dances we headed to San Cristobal. This is an old colonial town in the mountains and is an awesome place to chill out, buy too muny souveniers and drink too much listening to live music and trying to salsa a bit. Really nice place to be and get lost in the cobbled backstreets. and still hanging out with carlos.

We headed to Canyon Sumeridad which is a magnificent boat trip. Cliffs rise straight out of the water up to 1000m above you. There are waterfalls coming out of the cliff face, caves and trees clinging all the way down.

Other than that I learnt about Mayan medicine in the area. They believe that soda such as pepsi, especially the belching that follows helps to rid the body of evil spirits and illness.

conyan de sumeriedad
So most medical treatments involve circling the body with the bottles of pepsi or fanta and dringking the drinks. Child birth here is done with the man seating hugging the wife while she kneels and gives birth. During childbirth they use an axe to rub the belly to stimulate the birth. crazy.

Mexico was great but the food was really only tacos and quesidillas, i did not see many enchiladas, chimichangers etc. but the chocolate chicken was pretty good. its always all about the food!

and then to Guatemala for spanish....

mswim says:
Just got back from Mexico myself and I had a blast. I can't wait to go back. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to go to any of the Mayan ruins, I'll definitely have to do that on my next trip. Happy Travels!
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007
tulum ruins. deserted
the cenote. perfectly clear cool w…
the cenote. perfectly clear cool …
chichin itza and carlos