Random.. and AMAZING ICE CREAM SHOP!!!

Ribeirao Preto Travel Blog

Wow! Today I woke up at 8am in order to take my malaria pill. it is kind of a joke around here these days... because I cannot eat anything 2 hours before or after I take it and I cannot lay down either. So, I woke up and took it and then sat up against the wall and tried to sleep that way and by 9 o'clock I gave up and went back to sleep... the normal way! We had breakfast at 10:30. I really enjoy meal times because we eat like a giant family. Quite lovely.

We planned a lesson for the PEPE children today. It was a little tense and heated in the room, but we got things worked out. The lesson was good and the kids seemes to like it, also, Rodrigo said it was good. He is very encouraging and it means a lot.

After the lesson, Rodrigo and his wife Auristella took us to an ice cream shop. It is on the corner of a street and it is open on the sides. There is a counter for paying and a counter to get your ice cream. However, if you ever wanted to work there, you would have to be a middle aged man. ha ha. The men were dressed in all white and had little white caps on as well. It was said that this was the best ice cream in town... SO TRUE! We were having a complete hayday in there!! So many flavors to choose from and not normal flavors (to our team). There was CORN, coconut, pineapple, lemon, passion fruit, pico, etc. I got lemao y chocolate (sounds- shoco la che). Rodrigo and his wife used to go there when they were growing up. So cute! We had a fun time.

After this adventure, Rodrigo dropped his wife off at their house and then drove us around for a bit. He showed us the sugar cane plant. They grow the cane there and then make alcohol for driving and white sugar. Sometimes they will burn it and the air is filled with sweet smoke and ash.

Tonight we helped Rodrigo with his English class. Some of the kids from the soccer game were there. They are going through a work book and they also learn a song every week. The following week they sing the song. We helped them with their work books and then taught them a song:

Your love is deep
Your love is high
Your love is long
Your love is wide

Your love is deeper than my view of grace
Higher than this worldly place
Longer than this road I travel
Wider than the gap you fill

Who can separate us?
Who can separate us from your love?
Nothing can separate us
Nothing can separate us from your love

The group of them will be singing the song in church on Sunday. It will be nice to see them do this.

I helped Kaleb and Josh make baloon toys and hats for Vitor and Beatriz. This is where the craziness started and never stopped. There was running, laughing, singing of Grease songs and the list goes on. Once Rodrigo and his family had gone, we ate leftover black beans and rice... mmm mmm mmm! and the girls and I went to our colorful room. We were reading and/or writing in our journals. We sang songs from Moulin Rouge, Pocohauntus, Mulan, and RENT. Talking crazy and things... somehow my shoes started talking to Carly and telling her how much they loved her and the rest of the team. We were doing weird stuff like this and just having a grand old time for about 2 hours straight! We all get along so well. I love team BRASIL!
Ribeirao Preto Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
If you want the opportunity to truly try some different ice creams. This is the place for that!! I mean a corn ice cream. It was like frozen creame… read entire review
Ribeirao Preto