Mormons in Brasil! Who knew?!

Ribeirao Preto Travel Blog

I woke up late... then got ready to go to the post office with Carly and Lindsay. Kaleb was with us, but he left to return the key to the rest of the team. So, we made our trek for the post office. Besides the fact that it is bloody hot today, it was a lovely walk. We did not know exactly how to get to the post office, due to our previous experience. Luckily we found it and now letters to our loved ones are on their way to the states. They should take about a week or two to arrive. I made up a bunch of stuff for these free postcards that I got, of a girl in a hooded fur coat. I did not note that I was joking, which makes them even better. On the way back from the post office we stopped in a little store. Lindsay wanted to get some earrings for her mom and we were all looking for some sandals. In this store, conversation started about a man named Alfonso. He is on a show called Rebelde. Just as a few words were spoken about him, a man turned to us and said, "Are you speaking English?" and we stood there shocked and said yes. This was a young man named Chase Olson, with his friend David Hassan. Chase is from Utah and David is from Rio De Janeiro. They are Mormons! David spoke and Chase translated for us. David thought that I was Brasilian... he said I did not look "American". We had to tell him that there are people that look just like him in the states. We went through a bunch of small talk, but it was nice to have met someone else who speaks English. It was weird hearing it from someone who was not on our team. Chase asked to take a picture with us... I thought that was funny. He was probably thinking... Christians in Brasil?! [ At the post office a woman had asked us if we were Mormon, and it did not really make sense. Turns out there is a ward/ church down the street from the post office.] Upon returning from the post office we played with the PEPE kids at the red dirt field. Around 7:45 the youth showed up, we all ventured over to Pastor Carlos'. The youth group learned the electric slide from us, so there was dancing, games, and fun for all! Again we broke out the dictionary. This has been great for communication. I feel that both parties are learning Portuguese/ English very well.~~~ Flocos ice cream from the corner market is muito bom!!! (very good)
Ribeirao Preto