Food

Taos Travel Blog

The big house!

So after the Pueblo we ran off to get a bite to hit and snuck in to a Mexican food restaurant on the corner that from the outside really appeared to be a bit shady and perhaps a little greasy. Who doesn't love that?

Upon entering we found the cashier counter and two tables and then we saw through a back doorway that there was outdoor seating with 5 or 6 umbrella covered patio tables so we settled into one of these. We no sooner ordered our drinks then the sky opened its mouth and poured. Not lightly, oh no, it was nasty windy coming down blowing over the lovely umbrella's and smacking around the sunflowers in the garden kind of rain. Our waitress goes running over to yet a different building and then another nook we had not noticed before where apparently there is more seating (this place never ends) and tells us we are welcome to move wherever we'd like. We stole back to where we'd begun and took one of the two available tables from the first entrance and proceeded to have our best meal in Taos.  As I finished my last bite the rain subsided and left its lovely smell in the air. (It’s almost poetic)

We did some window shopping in the historic district for an hour or 5 and then made our way over to an Italian joint where I had dessert and mom had salad, go figure. On our way out mom met a nice man with his head screwed on tight to be her new man and we went home to bed.

Cemetary and Church Ruins

So once we had finally arrived in Taos we pretty much crashed. I mean we ate at some place called something apple which was highly over-rated but ok. We did learn thanks to a very nice local that after 6pm you don't have to pay for metered parking (you think they'd have signs for that). Something you should know before going to Taos is that there is NO PARKING and the streets are all very very small. The thing about that is that everything of real interest is centrally located so it's not really a big deal once you've parked you don't need to move again.

Saturday morning we got up got showered, had some coffee and headed off to see the Pueblo. It is "outside" of town. You know drive down the main road for like 3 minutes and you're there.

Screwed-up
The Pueblo is amazing, it has exsisted for 1000+ years and has been occupied the whole time. I would now like you to take a moment to think about that and what you know about history and just absorb it.

So it was really cool the indians living there are very pleasant and willing to share their history with you as well as their Arts (for a very high price) we spent quiet a bit of time in one man's shop and just listening him talk was inspiring and he was so pleasant to be around, I could easily have spent the afternoon there. The Pueblo has many winding passage ways and you must be careful not to end up in the wrong area as people do still live there and you don't want to invade their privacy. I loved the old cemetary next to the ruins of the original church the different crosses were beautiful, I just wish that mom and I had not forgotten our camera's and been forced to buy a point and click disposable. Then again it was one of those trips.

More Pueblo coming at ya