Hong Kong wrap

Hong Kong Travel Blog

HK night market - don't miss it
Expensive, but underrated destination for a city. The weather was great at that time of year, just as I had planned. You can walk just about everywhere interesting. Transportation is great, cheap, and easy, although taxi drivers rarely speak English. You could see all the highlights in a few days if you wanted, but it was a perfect place for me to start my trip and get a taste of China.

Costs: Everyone else writes that it’s expensive and I guess that it is. I paid the same price for a room ($30) that I paid in Spain or Mumbai, but I guess in retrospect the room was a LOT smaller, hehe. And the real problem is there are no room options between that and around $99. Everything else can be done on low budget if you’re not there for the shopping.

Food: Good food and everything you could want, amazing food if you want to spend $.
Sarah from San Diego via Korea

Air quality: pretty bad, especially downtown on HK Island. Too many taxis, and all the boats don’t help either. If you look at the worst polluted places in the world, the Top 10 are all in China now. They need to clean up their act.

People: This is a tough one. First, Hong Kong is a very multicultural city, many races, even many races from all over China. In a metropolitan city like this, it’s hard to meet people as a tourist. I met a few nice locals, seemingly by chance, but everyone is busy going somewhere and you don’t stand out at all as a tourist or white person. In a country of over a billion people, a survival of the fittest mentality permeates. Chinese have a reputation for not being, well… nice, and I saw that too. But all of the Chinese I know in America, some from Hong Kong even, are very nice, so I think it’s a mainland thing, and maybe a Communist thing as the vibe in Hanoi is similar.

Culture: Hong Kong and Macau both previouly being independent regions creates a unique culture. Picture it like the Chinese version of New York City, many people mixed together, minus the Communist overtones… a culture unto itself. Also like NYC, extremely dense, and it almost never stops moving!

Highlight(s): the night market (not to miss); walking the entire city and subsequent $7 foot massage.
HK night market - dont miss it
HK night market - don't miss it
Sarah from San Diego via Korea
christmas in Macau, very interesti…
christmas in Macau, very interest…
macau alleys at night