I did it, I kissed the STONE!

Blarney Travel Blog

Blarney Castle

In 1993, my mum brought back a magnet of the Blarney saying "I kissed the Blarney" and I was wondering what that was. My mum explained the 'legend' to me and I think I was at that age where I merrily lapped it up. As the years went by, I used to look at that magnet thinking "cheap gimmick" and pushed it to the back of my mind.

Cut across to 2005 when I started scouring Tripadvisor for ideas on my Ireland trip, and practically everyone was "the Blarney, oh I kissed the Blarney" so this Blarney thing for me had now gone from enchanting to cheesy to curious/must-do. Also judging at how the place is advertised in so many websites and tourism brochures, it was obvious that any tour company that takes you for a tour around Ireland would include Blarney.

Kissing the Blarney Stone
Even when I booked this trip, I rang my mum and dad up to tell them that I'm going to kiss the Blarney stone (to be granted the eloquance in speech) and my parents in unison yelled "Don't! don't! As if you don't talk enough already!". :-)

The settings of Blarney Castle reminded me of the William Wallace Tower at Stirling, for some reason. It was raining and misty, lots of crowd and a very lively place. We made our way to the Castle which by itself is the size of a shoe box. How those armoured men with those heavy weapons and all moved around in the staircase, God alone knows. So narrow! And I kept seeing the stairs with people standing, looks like they were standing in a queue. No prizes for guessing for what! :)

I reached the Blarney Stone, it was exactly how I pictured how it would be and had my photo taken.

outside the Castle
For some reason, I felt a sense of achievement. For all my making fun of my mum for that cheesy magnet a decade ago, I couldn't rush to buy myself one, not to mention one of those souvenir pictures as well. Although my friends still amuse themselves at that photo asking me what I'm doing with a strange man's hand tightly round my waist. LOL!

We spent the rest of the day touring round the Castle grounds which I actually liked although it's your average garden. I think the variety of flora was impressive. You had trees, plants with gigantic leaves, regular lawns with colourful flowers, etc. Lunch was bought @ a grocery store and we went for a walk around town. It's very touristy, we saw a bunch of people travelling by car but most of the traffic there were tourist buses. Even the cars were not driven by locals but tourists! We also went to a nearby souvenir store but things were expensive there.

We had lunch on the bus as we were driven to the Rock of Cashel. I frankly don't remember what this was, I just remember being like the rest of the group and posing for a bunch of pictures in front of a graveyard! It was good but really nothing awe inspiring or mysterious as the blurbs claim. If left to me infact, I'd have spent more time at Blarney town or perhaps gone back to Dingle Peninsula!

trippin_jen says:
"Although my friends still amuse themselves at that photo asking me what I'm doing with a strange man's hand tightly round my waist. LOL!"

Exactly my thoughts. By the way, any specific reason to kiss it this way? Lol!
Posted on: Nov 12, 2015